« View All Listings
Environmental Construction Specialist - TPS4 In-Training
Job Title Environmental Construction Specialist - TPS4 In-Training
Opening Date 5/16/2017
Closing Date 5/30/2017 11:59pm
Salary $55,728. - $80,724. Annually, depending upon qualifications
Job Type Full Time – Permanent
Location Olympia, WA
Recruitment # 17DOT-HQ-00683
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) Maintenance Policy Office has an opportunity for an energetic professional who has a passion for construction and environmental issues. The Environmental Construction Specialist will plan, design, and manage the construction of small works projects to obtain environmental compliance, oversees demolition, and site mitigation to support the agency's commitment to environmental stewardship. This professional will interact with other WSDOT offices, as well as external consultants and contractors, to deliver minor projects, preventative and corrective maintenance, and best management practices.
This position will perform the following work:
• Design and deliver building construction, demolition, site mitigation, site development, and system retrofit projects.
• Prepare environmental documents for Maintenance Operations projects.
• Oversee construction projects, and act as the onsite inspector and safety officer.
• Assess/identify non-compliance facility operations, develop solution and alternatives, and implement corrective actions.
• Prepare technical reports on environmental remediation projects.
• Lead and supervise the Hazardous Materials Specialist, providing support and direction in delivery of Dangerous Waste, Asbestos, and Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure Programs Programs.
• Assist Regions in identification, design, and delivery method of environmental projects.
• Active involvement in the planning phases of construction management, including reviewing region environmental work requests, evaluating possible operational and structural alternatives, and developing construction budgets and schedules.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
• A Bachelor's Degree in a physical science, construction management, or engineering related field.
• Ability to “think outside the box” in project design and delivery, utilizing the Practical Solutions approach to problem solving.
• Expert knowledge of WSDOT's construction bidding/contracting processes.
• The ability to prepare technical reports using MS Word and Excel.
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD in generating plans for permitting and contracting.
• Working knowledge of WSDOT’s Maintenance, Construction, and Design Manuals; and Standard Specifications.
• Working knowledge of Department of Ecology’s Stormwater Management Manuals.
• Working knowledge of WSDOT’s Highway Runoff Manual.
• Two (2) years contaminated site remediation experience.
• Thorough knowledge of hazardous materials/waste and Model Toxics Control Act (MTCA) regulations.
• The ability and temperament to communicate effectively with regulatory agencies and the general public, exercising good judgement on a daily basis, demonstrating understanding, empathy, and sensitivity.
• Skills and knowledge to supervise, coach, mentor and train staff.
• The ability to travel statewide up to 50% of work schedule, including overnight stays.
• The ability to transverse uneven ground, and heavily vegetated areas.
• A valid driver’s license.
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please go to www.careers.wa.gov. Filter by Department. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Posted on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017
This listing expires on: Tuesday, May 30, 2017