WSDOT has an exciting opportunity for an enterprising transportation planner who has strong analytical abilities, project management experience, and excellent communication skills. This position will assist in the delivery of Southwest Region planning activities including data collection and analysis, as well as developing scopes and schedules for planning projects. The Transportation Planning Specialist 3 will work in partnership with local jurisdictions, tribes, internal partners, environmental groups, and the public. To thrive in this role, the qualified individual will need to be a self-starter, embrace continuous process improvement, and have a strong commitment to advancing the policy goals of WSDOT.
This position will perform the following work:
• Lead and guide the process for addressing transportation vision, goals, performance gaps, and cost-effective strategies on the state transportation networks in the Southwest Region.
• Coordinate and provide technical assistance related to internal and external partners and stakeholders.
• Collaboratively work with others in Practical Planning and Practical Solutions for the agency's multi-modal transportation system.
• Create, update, and maintain advanced technical tools, methods, and guidance for statewide use in identifying short-, mid- and long-term mobility needs on the state highway system.
• Lead planning studies and provide technical assistance initiated by local agencies, other WSDOT departments or legislative requests.
• Collaboratively create exhibits to support regional messaging to the public using mapping tools, like ArcGIS.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
• A bachelor's degree (or higher) involving major study in transportation, urban/regional land use planning or engineering.
• Three years professional transportation experience involving analysis and evaluation of transportation issues and/or challenges.
• Experience using mapping tools such as ArcGIS.
• Experience in multi-modal transportation systems.
• The ability to compose planning documents including plans, scopes reviews, etc.
• The ability to review and interpret site plans for development proposals.
• The ability to perform review and field-site assessments on comprehensive plans.
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please go to www.careers.wa.gov. Filter by Department. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position. 17DOT-SWR-40832
To view the entire announcement and to apply, please visit:TPS3