Highway Maintenance Workers are certified by the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) to operate a variety of complex or specialized highway maintenance and construction equipment in order to restore and maintain the integrity of roadway surfaces; maintain roadside slopes, shoulders, culverts and ditches to restore drainage and prevent erosion; and repair or replace related roadway appurtenances such as guardrails, markers, guide posts and fences. Incumbents possess a degree of knowledge and proficiency sufficient to perform work independently with little or no additional training.
These positions are located within District II, geographical areas of: Carson City, Minden, Gardnerville, and Genoa, Reno, Sparks, Virginia City, Lovelock, Hawthorne, Fernley, Nixon, Yerington, Fallon, and Cold Springs. Incumbents are responsible for performing routine maintenance duties including keeping pavement surface, shoulders, clear zones, and associated roadways in good repair; winter maintenance, including snow plow operation and anti-icing activities; and assistance in emergency operations. These positions will be filled on a TEMPORARY basis. The hours for this position are subject to change depending on the needs of the appointing authority and may be five 8-hour shifts or four 10-hours shifts. This position may require working in inclement weather.
To see full Class Specifications visit: http://hr.nv.gov/Resources/ClassSpecs/Class_Specifications-9_0/
In order to be qualified, you must meet the following requirements:
Education and Experience (Minimum Qualifications):
One year of experience performing basic highway maintenance work; OR one year of experience as a Highway Maintenance Worker I in Nevada State service.
- This position requires an applicant be at least 18 years of age upon application. If selected, proof of being at least 18 years of age will be required.
- This position may require working alternate shifts and outside of traditional business hours. The hours for this position are subject to change depending on the needs of the appointing authority and may be five 8-hour shifts or four 10-hour shifts.
- Tell us how you heard about us! This is a temporary appointment not to exceed 6 months.
- Pursuant to NRS 284.4066, this position has been identified as affecting public safety. Persons offered employment in this position must submit to a pre-employment screening for controlled substances. In addition, federal law requires random testing for controlled substances during employment.
- A class A or B CDL is required at time of appointment and is a condition of continuing employment.
Register on the NVAPPS website at www.nevadadot.com/jobs and create an applicant profile. Then apply for recruitment #32073. See the official announcement at: https://neats.state.nv.us/NEATS/Recruiting/ViewAnnouncement.aep?recruitmentId=32073
Women and under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. Nevada Department of Transportation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its employees and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information (GINA), or gender identity and expression.