Announcement: ODOT17-1565ocInspector/Surveyor – Engineering Specialist 3
Highway Division – Region 2Salem
The Oregon Department of Transportation exercises leadership and vision in promoting, developing and managing a statewide network of transportation systems and facilities.
We are recruiting for an inspector/surveyor to join our team in Salem. The primary purpose of this position is to perform survey office work of varied responsibility and difficulty as a member of a project manager's crew. The inspector/surveyor conducts inspection and survey work and provides general oversight to ensure compliance. This person also leads the work activities of an engineering survey crew consisting of two or more people.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accept or reject construction materials for quantity and conformance to applicable specifications and record characteristics of materials incorporated into the project by the contractor.
- Inspect contractor's work on construction projects and document quality and quantity.
- Monitor the installation, maintenance, and removal of erosion control measures.
- Check in-place erosion control devices for intended performance and document corrective actions.
- Monitor temporary traffic control installations on construction projects and determine effectiveness and conformance.
- Prepare construction narrative and as-constructed plans upon completion of construction projects.
- Assist in organizing project documents for submittal to region and operations for final project acceptance.
- Coordinate, train, and direct the activities of lower level engineering specialists.
- Review, collate, and record data received from other inspectors.
- Utilize plans and drawings to establish horizontal and vertical controls, construction center line, and right of way lines.
- Operate and ensure maintenance and calibration of survey equipment.
- Obtain and record all necessary field data for the planning and design of highway construction projects.
- Provide general oversight to ensure contractor and Disadvantaged Business Enterprise subcontractors meet contract requirements.
An associate's degree in engineering technology from a recognized community college or technical school of engineering and four years of experience directly related to engineering;
Five and one-half years (66 months) of sub-professional engineering experience;
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following. We will use the items on this list along with our essay-style supplemental questions to determine who to interview.
- Experience performing survey office work and conducting inspection and survey work.
- Formal training and/or education in the civil engineering and/or surveying disciplines.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
This opportunity closes at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, August 28, 2017.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.