Announcement: ODOT17-1578ocCost Estimator – Civil Engineering Specialist 3
Highway Division – Technical ServicesSalem
Our Technical Services Division ensures that technical policy, procedure, and practice are consistent throughout the state. This important work includes researching best practices, ensuring that systems are effective and efficient, and maintaining key strategic business relationships.
We are recruiting for a cost estimator to join our Traffic-Roadway Section in Salem. This position develops the final engineers estimate for project bidding through ODOT and provides the professional bid analysis and award/rejection recommendations. This person also serves as scheduler for the agency. The cost estimator works with other agency engineers in both the Technical Services Branch and other agencies, consultants, and private industries to ensure projects going to bid have estimates representative of current market conditions.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the preparation of project final engineers estimates on projects bidding.
- Schedule final estimating for bidding projects.
- Prepare final estimates including a summary of relevant changes from the PS&E estimate.
- Perform quality assurance reviews on PS&E submissions.
- Manage and maintain the ODOT bid item cost history.
- Maintain and publish the most current bid item list on the Office of Project Letting cost estimating website.
- Assist estimators in making decisions.
- Develop and deliver an annual report summarizing the bid item activity.
- Manage and maintain the ODOT commodity indices.
- Provide guidance for unique and unusual engineering problems.
- Participate on various statewide committees and teams related to construction estimates and scheduling.
A bachelor's degree in civil engineering, surveying or transportation-related engineering and four years of civil or transportation-related engineering or surveying experience.
Seven years of civil or transportation-related engineering or surveying experience. Two years of this experience must have been independently planning and completing assignments in drafting, field or laboratory inspection, construction contract administration, surveying, materials testing, or traffic investigations.
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following. We will use the items on this list along with our essay-style supplemental questions to determine whom to interview.
- Estimating experience in project development.
- Experience reviewing and awarding contractor bids.
- Experience using software systems to develop estimates.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
This opportunity closes at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, August 30, 2017.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.