Announcement: ODOT17-1576ocHighway Safety Engineer – Professional Engineer 2
Highway Division – Technical ServicesSalem
We are recruiting for a highway safety engineer to join our Traffic Engineering Unit in Salem. This position provides leadership, guidance, and support for advancing effective highway safety engineering efforts. This person also assists the unit manager by assigning and reviewing work on unique highway safety engineering and research projects. The highway safety engineer will provide statewide technical expertise, leadership, coordination, program management, and public outreach in highway safety engineering that facilitates the design and implementation of transportation safety strategies that enhance the safe movement of people on roadways in Oregon.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the statewide expert in highway safety engineering issues, human factors that contribute to crashes, and the application of countermeasures to reduce crashes.
- Assign, review, and approve the work of engineers and technicians on unique and complex traffic investigations and transportation projects relating to highway safety.
- Ensure deadlines and commitments are met and assignments are conducted to department standards and guidelines.
- Coordinate statewide activities to develop an effective Highway Safety Management System and effective safety projects.
- Develop ODOT highway safety engineering programs and prepare, review, and update policies and guidelines.
- Provide technical assistance to Technical Services Branch sections and other ODOT divisions.
- Recommend and participate in research activities.
- Prepare or direct the preparation of proper written communications to internal and external stakeholders.
- Review unit correspondence, technical reports, and guidance for consistency.
- Collaborate with the Transportation Safety Division and the Federal Highway Administration in setting long term and short term highway safety goals and performance measures.
- Provide technical assistance to set priorities and select proper crash countermeasures.
- Review safety strategies for highway projects and developments.
- Review engineering investigations and studies to assess highway safety needs.
A valid Professional Engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering AND three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following. We will use the items on this list along with our essay-style supplemental questions to determine whom to interview.
- Knowledge and experience in transportation safety engineering.
- Knowledge and understanding of Highway Safety Manual principles.
- Experience leading and building collaborative working relationships with other engineers and staff.
- Experience coordinating or managing a project or program, including experience developing guidance, providing oversight or assistance, and recommending goals or evaluating results.
- Majority of work is in the office with meetings in Salem and occasionally at locations statewide.
- Field work involves exposure to heavy traffic volumes while making onsite highway observations.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
This opportunity closes at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, August 30, 2017.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.