ODOT17-0301OCa – Warm Springs Junction
Oregon Department of Transportation
The transportation maintenance specialist functions as a member of a maintenance crew and performs any required manual labor or equipment operation necessary to maintain, repair and/or reconstruct roadway/highway, freeway, bridges and/or rest area facilities.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU/OPEU).
- This is a seasonal position that is expected to work during the winter months only. Seasonal positions are regular status, benefits eligible positions, which occur, terminate and recur periodically or regularly. There is currently one (1) vacancy for Warm Springs Junction. The successful candidate will begin work in October 2017. The list of eligible candidates may be used to fill future positions as they occur.
- This recruitment is to augment the candidate pool generated by job announcement ODOT17-0301OC. If you have previously applied for this position, you do not need to re-apply. Names of qualified applicants will remain on the list for further consideration.
- Apply by Monday, October 23, 2017 to be considered for the next screening round.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain roadside turf and arboreal areas; clean brush, mow grass, spray pesticides and herbicides, and dispose of roadside debris.
- Dig and clean ditches, catch basins and drainage systems. Repair culverts, inlets and erosion. Maintain restrooms and information centers at rest areas; perform minor building maintenance; and may oversee janitorial contractors maintaining building interiors.
- Repair, maintain and install irrigation systems as needed. Service and repair equipment and tools.
- Perform minor surface repair including hand, pothole and concrete patching and small inlay work, build/repair roadway shoulders and bike paths, and perform minor construction.
- Sweep highway facilities such as shoulders and intersections; perform clean-up of sidewalks, graffiti, paving, bridge walks, and islands.
- Plow snow and sand roadways.
- Maintain, repair or replace guardrails, barriers, fences, glare screens, roadway delineators or milepost markers; apply, maintain and/or replace roadway/highway striping and/or legends.
- Respond to accidents and other emergencies; secure area by providing traffic control and coordinate activities of other agencies and the public to ensure the safety of the public and crews; assist with clean up involving accidents and spills.
- Read and interpret plans and layouts for projects.
- Operate on or near heavy equipment and power tools; and subject to noise, adverse weather, dangerous equipment, pesticides, fertilizers, and hazardous waste materials.
- Manual labor is required.
- Must walk, stand, bend, and stoop for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work safely with power and hand tools, and other equipment; be able to operate government vehicles; and lift up to 60 pounds.
- Employees may be required to work any hours/shift, any day of the week, including holidays, for emergency, on-call, and weather-related purposes.
QUALIFICATIONS, REQUIRED & REQUESTED SKILLS:
- Two (2) years of maintenance and/or construction experience in roadway/highway, bridge, sign, drawbridge or landscape (any type of ground maintenance, including tree, shrub and lawn maintenance; sprinkler system maintenance, cleaning ditches and catch basins, or work related to professional/commercial or public landscaping, farming or logging); AND
- Experience in each of the following areas:
- Operating heavy and/or light motorized equipment;
- Using hand and power tools;
- Performing minor servicing of equipment, AND
- Applying safety procedures.
- OR -
- Two (2) years of experience operating construction and maintenance machinery to include one or more of the following types: front-end loader, road grader, bulldozer, backhoe, tractor/low-boy, and 5- or 10- yard dump truck.
- Employee will be required to use a vehicle to conduct business; you must possess a valid class B commercial driver license with a valid medical card.
We appreciate your interest in this position. To apply, please follow these steps.
- Complete the application. We will not accept a resume or position description in place of a completed application. Because of the volume of applications we receive, we do not review any attachments that we do not ask for.
- The work experience and/or education section of your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet all of the minimum and special qualifications listed above. If it does not, we are required to disqualify it.
- Complete the supplemental questions.
Caution: If you fail to follow these instructions, we will have to disqualify your application. We cannot consider incomplete or late applications.
Criminal background checks will be conducted on final candidates, not including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS, and/or education verification as required for the position.
Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. To receive preference you MUST attach appropriate documentation as outlined by the Department of Administrative Services at the following website: Veterans Resources. Please title your DD214 like this, "[Your Last Name] DD214" and your disability letter "[Your Last Name] Disability Letter." Veterans may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at 1-800-692-9666.
Oregon Department of Transportation
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Applicants with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. For questions, concerns, or complaints regarding EEO/AA/ADA, contact the employee civil rights and diversity manager at 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). This information can be made available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment at 503-986-3700. Oregon Relay Service can be reached by calling 7-1-1.