Announcement: ODOT17-1621ocSurvey Associate – Civil Engineering Specialist 1Highway Division – Technical ServicesSalem
We are recruiting for a survey associate to join our Geometronics Unit in Salem. This position works with the lead remote sensing surveyor to prepare aerial mosaics, planimetric/topographic maps, 3D LiDAR data and images, and digital terrain models used in support of transportation improvement projects. Products are used in the location, design, and construction of highways, including hearing exhibits and displays.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Limited Duration: This is a limited duration appointment that is scheduled to last until 01/01/2019, though the duration can change at any time due to business needs. Limited duration appointments are benefits eligible with a designated maximum length of service.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop photogrammetric and 3D laser scanning products of varying difficulty from simple to moderately complex.
- Plan layout of ground control and place ground control marks for control of aerial photography.
- Prepare flight map and coordinate aerial photography with contracted consultants.
- Check aerial photos to ensure overlap, crab, tip, tilt, and scale are within specifications.
- Utilize a variety of 3D laser scanning software to process point cloud data and conduct virtual surveys within the software.
- Edit data and perform quality control checks in MicroStation and INROADS.
- Visit project near completion to perform field verification checks.
- Collect point cloud data using unmanned aerial system, 3D stationary static scanner, multi-stations, and mobile mapping system.
- Serve as a member of the field survey crew.
- Prepare aerial photo mosaics.
- Assist staff and public with requested mosaics, maps, geodetic information, and general photogrammetric information.
A bachelor's degree in civil engineering, surveying, or transportation-related engineering and one year civil engineering or surveying experience;
An associate's degree in engineering technology or surveying from a recognized community college or technical school of engineering and two and one-half years of engineering or surveying experience. One year of this experience must have been working independently or as a senior member of a team or work group;
Four years of para-professional engineering or surveying experience. One year of this experience must have been working independently or as a senior member of a team or work group;
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the items on this list, as demonstrated in your application materials and responses to our correlated essay-style supplemental questions, to determine whom to interview.
- Education in surveying/geomatics or closely related field.
- Experience performing field and/or office survey tasks.
- Currently holds a land surveyor intern and/or land surveyor in training certificate.
- Typical office environment utilizing computers with 3D laser scanning, surveying, and CAD software.
- Outdoor work is 50% or greater of the work schedule.
- Employee must have use of and dexterity in all limbs.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
This opportunity closes at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, October 31, 2017.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.