Signal Operations Engineer – Professional Engineer 1
Highway Division – Region 2
We are recruiting for a signal operations engineer. This position serves as the region's expert on traffic signal and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) operations including the development, operation, and maintenance of state-maintained facilities. The signal operations engineer provides traffic engineering expertise and guidance for the region. This person also directs the activities of the signal operations team, which is comprised of two full-time signal timing specialists and an occasional limited duration and/or rotational employee. The signal operations team develops, implements, monitors, and operates approximately 300 traffic signals and ramp meters.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This recruitment is to augment the candidate pool generated by job announcement ODOT17-1602oc. If you have previously applied for this position, you do not need to re-apply. Names of qualified applicants will remain on the list for further consideration.
- This announcement has been revised to allow it to remain open until filled. The initial screening and selection process is scheduled for 8:00 a.m. on Monday, December 18, 2017. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application materials without delay as the announcement may be closed at any time after this date without advance notice at the discretion of the agency.
- This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
- This classification was recently included in a salary negotiation. The salary range listed in this announcement may increase once approved.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct activities of the signal operations team.
- Plan and facilitate meetings with signal operations staff.
- Review signal operations team staff work and provide coaching and guidance.
- Provide traffic engineering expertise to project development teams.
- Evaluate contract work performed by traffic engineering consultants on ODOT highway projects.
- Provide construction support and traffic engineering expertise to project managers and crews during construction.
- Safely activate traffic signals.
- Identify problems and provide solutions during the construction of all traffic control devices.
- Assist in resolving issues related to traffic signal operations.
- Facilitate the review and adjustments of signal timing parameters.
- Conduct or delegate investigations on traffic operational problems.
- Provide traffic engineering solutions to ODOT personnel, local agencies, and the public.
- Implement and operate Intelligent Transportation Systems devices.
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following. We will use the items on this list along with our essay-style supplemental questions to determine whom to interview.
- Two years of experience, knowledge, and responsibility in signal operations or design.
- Experience leading and building collaborative working relationships with other engineers and staff.
- Work is primarily performed in an office environment with occasional field work required.
- Regular travel is required throughout Region 2.
- Field work may include exposure to extreme traffic, inclement weather, and long periods of standing and walking.
- May occasionally lift traffic signal equipment.
- May be responsible for presenting complicated technical analysis to unreceptive audiences.
This announcement has been revised to allow it to remain open until filled. The initial screening and selection process is scheduled for 8:00 a.m. on Monday, December 18, 2017. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application materials without delay as the announcement may be closed at any time after this date without advance notice at the discretion of the agency.
Apply today! Click here to learn more or to apply.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email email@example.com.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.