Announcement: ODOT17-1644ocSign Maintenance Specialist – Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2
Highway Division – Warrenton Maintenance CrewWork Location: 1960 SE Dolphin, Warrenton, OR 97146
The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) works to provide a safe, efficient transportation system that supports economic opportunity and livable communities for Oregonians.
We are recruiting for a full-time, permanent sign maintenance specialist to join our maintenance crew in Warrenton. This position functions as a member of our Warrenton District 1 Sign Crew and performs any required manual labor or equipment operation necessary for the installation and maintenance of highway signs.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU/OPEU).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain, install, replace, and repair signs, sign posts, and all types of highway signing including legends and panels on state highways.
- Use and interpret the Manual on Uniform Traffic Devices, construction manuals, straight-line charts, drawings, letters, and prints relating to new installations and changes in existing signs.
- Inspect signs for repair or replacement.
- Shoot elevations with transit and/or level to determine appropriate sign placement.
- Assist during weather related emergencies and perform all aspects of snow removal and clean up.
- Order signs, parts, supplies, and sign support stock.
- Prepare records of sign work performed and materials used and conduct sign equipment inventories.
- Perform light record keeping and prepare a variety of administrative reports.
- Maintain vegetation areas, mow grass, spray pesticides and herbicides, and dispose of roadside debris.
- Repair or replace guardrails, barriers, fences, glare screens, roadway delineators or milepost markers.
- Respond and coordinate accidents and other emergencies, provide traffic control and coordinate with other agencies to ensure safety and assist with clean up.
- Service and repair equipment and tools.
- Maintain rest areas and perform minor building maintenance.
Two years of maintenance and/or construction experience in roadway/highway, bridge, sign, drawbridge or landscape (any type of ground maintenance, including tree, shrub and lawn maintenance; sprinkler system maintenance, cleaning ditches and catch basins, or work related to professional/commercial or public landscaping, farming or logging);
Experience in each of the following areas:
- Operating heavy and/or light motorized equipment;
- Using hand and power tools;
- Performing minor servicing of equipment, AND
- Applying safety procedures.
Two years of experience operating construction and maintenance machinery to include one or more of the following types: front-end loader, road grader, bulldozer, backhoe, tractor/low-boy, and 5- or 10- yard dump truck.
- Employee will be required to use a commercial motor vehicle to conduct business; you must possess a current, valid commercial driver's license A (CDL-A) OR have the ability to acquire one within six months of hire (ODOT will cover training and costs) to be considered eligible for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
- This position has a maximum response time of 45 minutes to 1960 SE Dolphin, Warrenton, OR 97146 for emergency call-outs.
Preferred Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Demonstrated time management and results oriented skills.
- Demonstrated reliability in work performance.
- Ability to work independently or with little supervision.
- Ability to identify and mitigate safety hazards.
- Operate on or near heavy equipment and power tools.
- Manual labor is required. May be required to walk, stand, bend, and stoop for extended periods of time and lift up to 75 pounds.
- May be required to work over large bodies of water, at heights up to 75 feet, and excavations to depths of 20 feet.
- Exposure to noise, adverse weather, dangerous equipment, pesticides, fertilizers, and hazardous waste materials.
- Must be able to work safely with power and hand tools and be able to operate government vehicles/equipment.
- Employees are to be available at any time for emergency, on-call, and weather-related purposes.
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on December 13, 2017. Apply today! Click here to learn more or to apply.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.