Senior Traffic Sign Designer – Associate in Engineering 2
Highway Division – Region 2
We are recruiting for a senior traffic sign designer to join our Region 2 Traffic Unit in Salem. Under the guidance of the region traffic engineer, this position designs and prepares permanent sign plans for the majority of Region 2 projects. This person works on preservation projects, moderately complex multi-lane highway reconstruction projects, the most intricate and highly complex interstate freeway and interstate freeway/expressway interchange construction projects, and large sign rebuild/update projects.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Open until Filled: This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Wednesday, 01/31/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare plan, organize, and carry out the design of permanent signing plans for the majority of Region 2 projects.
- Prepare detailed sign working drawings using an engineering software program.
- Prepare detailed engineering cost estimates, specifications, and special provisions for the sign design portion of projects of all levels of complexity including multi-million dollar projects.
- Provide sign design and construction support services for Region 2 construction staff, district maintenance staff, and Region 2 traffic operations.
- Participate as sign design expert on region project teams to ensure the proper direction of a project from scoping to construction project support.
- Prepare design and contract plans for other traffic design disciplines such as striping, signals, and temporary traffic control.
- Review and recommend revisions or approval for consultant and local agency sign plans and special provisions.
- Review private developers' plans to ensure that the impact of their developments on state highways will be mitigated through proper signing and recommend corrections or approval.
- Assist in training new personnel in entry-level engineering positions.
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and one year of experience applying professional engineering theory, principles and methods.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Degree in civil, traffic, or transportation-related engineering.
- Experience in highway design.
- Experience with computer-aided drafting software such as AutoCAD or MicroStation.
- Knowledge of or experience working with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative working relationships with other engineers and staff.
- Position requires both office work and outdoor work.
- Outdoor work may involve exposure to inclement weather and heavy traffic conditions.
- Regional travel occasionally required.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Wednesday, 01/31/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. Apply today!
Click here to learn more or to apply.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.