Laboratory Technician – Engineering Specialist 1
Highway Division – Technical Services
ODOT's Central Materials Laboratory is responsible for providing statewide support to the construction and maintenance programs. Our laboratory performs specialized testing on asphalt and asphalt oil, aggregate, soil, and structural materials as well as supporting the Statewide Quality Assurance Program.
We are recruiting for a laboratory technician to join our Central Materials Laboratory in Salem. This position performs routine testing on a variety of materials for compliance such as concrete cylinders, metals, paints and chemicals, aggregates, soils, bituminous mixtures, and petroleum products. Come join us in keeping Oregon's roadways safe!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Under-fill: The goal of this recruitment is to fill these positions at an engineering specialist 2 level. However, we encourage candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for an engineering specialist entry ($2019 - $2982) to apply, as we may consider under-filling the position until the selected candidate meets the minimum qualifications for an engineering specialist 1. Under-fill training will not exceed three years.
- Limited Duration: This is a limited duration appointment that is scheduled to last until 06/30/2019, though the duration can change at any time due to business needs. Limited duration appointments are benefits eligible with a designated maximum length of service.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform laboratory duties in routine physical testing in one or more of the following areas: aggregates, bituminous mixtures, petroleum, physical testing, and/or soils.
- Process and prepare samples for testing.
- Perform routine tests of samples.
- Load and unload sample bags, screen decks, batching samples, and other materials.
- Set up the layout of equipment and qualified materials.
- Receive concrete cylinders or other concrete samples for compressive strength testing.
- Maintain and clean equipment and work areas.
- Provide information on sample creation and submittal for ODOT and other agency representatives.
Engineering Specialist Entry Minimum Qualifications (Under-fill option):
Knowledge of the fundamentals of algebra and plane geometry.
Engineering Specialist 1 Minimum Qualifications:
An associate's degree in engineering technology from a community college or technical school;
Eighteen months of experience directly related to engineering;
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Experience and/or formal training performing materials testing.
- Experience working in a lab environment.
- Experience using test results to complete a task at work or in school.
- Formal education in civil engineering or a related field.
- Laboratory office environment using computer equipment.
- Laboratory environment includes daily contact with dust, noise, hot materials, chemicals, and solvent fumes.
- Repeated lifting of testing equipment or material samples weighing 20 to 60 pounds required.
- Potential exposure to nuclear radiation through the asphalt nuclear gauge.
- Occasional in-state travel required to construction projects or field labs.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment closes at 11:59 PM on January 24, 2018. Apply today! Click here to learn more or to apply.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email email@example.com.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.