Culvert Inventory Specialist – Engineering Specialist 2
Highway Division – Technical Services
ODOT's Geo-Environmental Section is committed to the protection and preservation of our state's unique environment and to the safety of our highway system. Come join us in keeping Oregon beautiful and our roadways safe!
We are recruiting for twelve (12) culvert inventory specialists to join our team. These positions will locate, collect field data, perform quality control, and evaluate the condition of culverts located underneath embankments and fill slopes of the state's highways system.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Open until Filled: This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Friday, 02/16/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
- Limited Duration: This is a limited duration appointment that is expected to end on or before 10/31/2018. Limited duration appointments are benefits eligible and have a designated maximum length of service.
- Rotational Option: We may also fill this position as a rotational assignment open to current state of Oregon employees. Rotation candidates are not required to meet the position's minimum qualifications.
- Multiple Vacancies: We may use this recruitment to fill multiple vacancies.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect, investigate, and analyze location and condition assessment data for culverts.
- Utilize electronic and manual field measuring devices and operate resource-grade GPS equipment.
- Record data into field notebook and electronic handheld device and forward to central office.
- Collaborate with brushing crews, other culvert project team members, and maintenance staff.
- Participate in safety meetings and traffic control discussions.
- Properly handle equipment and maintain equipment condition, inventory, and calibration.
- Locate culverts by using manual tools and devices to clear brush and remove sediment.
- Ensure proper operation and maintain cleanliness of vehicles.
- Input office and field data into asset management systems.
- Evaluate region tech center and district maintenance files, as-built plans, and project plans.
- Process and provide daily paperwork including time tracking, expenses, travel arrangements, and field reports.
- Coordinate with project coordinator and team lead to ensure various files are easy to use and accessible.
- Provide quality control review of asset site evaluation data, GIS data, and metadata prior to publishing.
- Provide continuous feedback to project coordinator and team lead in support of process improvement
An associate's degree in engineering technology from a community college or technical school of engineering and two years of experience directly related to engineering.
Three and one-half years (42 months) of sub-professional engineering experience.
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Note: If you are currently a transportation maintenance specialist 2 (TMS2) or have been one in the past, in addition to your completed application, please attach section three of your TMS2 position description to receive full credit for your related work. If your experience includes work in multiple maintenance disciplines (e.g. highway, sign, bridge, striping or landscape) please attach section three of the position description for each of the relevant disciplines.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- Results oriented.
- Ability to successfully plan and organize workload.
- Demonstrate ability to successfully and effectively work as a member of a team.
- Basic math and problem solving skills.
- Work is primarily performed outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to traffic hazards, rugged unpopulated terrain, and frequent exposure to hazardous plants, animals, and insects.
- Overnight statewide travel over multiple days frequently required.
- Occasional approved overtime may be required due to workload.
- Frequently works with hand tools, gas-powered equipment, various types of shovels, and repeatedly removes and replaces heavy metal grates from culvert inlets using a J-hook metal grate puller.
- Must be able to work safely with power and hand tools and be able to operate government vehicles/equipment.
- Frequent lifting and carrying of weights of up to 60 pounds is required. Must follow safety procedures for weights exceeding 60 pounds.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Friday, 02/16/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date.
Apply today! Click here to learn more and to apply.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.