Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2
Highway Division – Ona Beach Maintenance Crew
Work Location: 12735 NW Pacific Coast Hwy., Seal Rock, OR 97376
The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) works to provide a safe, efficient transportation system that supports economic opportunity and livable communities for Oregonians.
We are recruiting for a full-time, permanent transportation maintenance specialist 2 to join our Ona Beach Maintenance Crew in Seal Rock. The transportation maintenance specialist functions as a member of a maintenance crew and performs manual labor and equipment operation to maintain, repair and/or reconstruct roadway/highway, freeway, bridges, and/or rest area facilities.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Open until Filled: This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Monday, 02/19/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU/OPEU).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain vegetation areas, mow grass, spray pesticides and herbicides, and dispose of roadside debris.
- Dig and clean ditches, catch basins and drainage systems.
- Repair culverts, inlets and erosion.
- Maintain rest areas and perform minor building maintenance.
- Install and/or maintain irrigation systems.
- Perform surface repair, build or repair roadway shoulders and bike paths.
- Sweep highway/roadway and perform clean-up of sidewalks, graffiti, paving, bridge walks, and islands.
- Plow snow, sand and deice roadways.
- Repair or replace guardrails, barriers, fences, glare screens, roadway delineators or milepost markers.
- Replace or maintain highway/roadway, signs, striping and/or legends.
- Service and repair equipment and tools.
- Respond and coordinate accidents and other emergencies, provide traffic control and coordinate with other agencies to ensure safety and assist with clean up.
- Read and interpret plans and layouts for projects.
Two years of maintenance and/or construction experience in roadway/highway, bridge, sign, drawbridge or landscape (any type of ground maintenance, including tree, shrub and lawn maintenance; sprinkler system maintenance, cleaning ditches and catch basins, or work related to professional/commercial or public landscaping, farming or logging);
Experience in each of the following areas:
- Operating heavy and/or light motorized equipment;
- Using hand and power tools;
- Performing minor servicing of equipment, AND
- Applying safety procedures.
Two years of experience operating construction and maintenance machinery to include one or more of the following types: front-end loader, road grader, bulldozer, backhoe, tractor/low-boy, and 5- or 10- yard dump truck.
- Employee will be required to use a commercial motor vehicle to conduct business; you must possess a current, valid commercial driver's license A (CDL-A) with combination, air brakes, and tanker endorsements OR have the ability to acquire one within six months of hire (ODOT will cover training and costs) to be considered eligible for this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
- This position has a maximum response time of 45 minutes to 12735 NW Pacific Coast Hwy., Seal Rock, OR 97376 for emergency call-outs.
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Ability to maintain effectiveness in varying environments with varying tasks, responsibilities, or people.
- Demonstrated integrity in job-related activities.
- Ability to build and develop appropriate relationships with peers, colleagues, customers, and suppliers at all levels within the organization to achieve a common goal.
- Operate on or near heavy equipment and power tools.
- Exposure to noise, adverse weather, dangerous equipment, pesticides, fertilizers, and hazardous waste materials.
- Manual labor is required. Must walk, stand, bend, and stoop for extended periods of time and lift up to 60 pounds.
- Must be able to work safely with power and hand tools and be able to operate government vehicles/equipment.
- Employees are to be available at any time for emergency, on-call, and weather-related purposes.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Monday, 02/19/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Apply today! Click here to learn more adn to apply.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.