Portland Materials Lab Inspection Crew Leader – Civil Engineering Specialist 2
Highway Division – Technical Services
Our Structure Services Unit manages structure coating and material quality and tests products to determine if they qualify for use on highway projects.
We are recruiting for an inspection crew leader to lead the Portland Materials Inspection Office as part of our Structure Services Unit. This position schedules, coordinates, and performs inspection-related activities on materials for department construction and maintenance projects. Materials include prestressed concrete members, structural steel members, and structural materials fabricated and manufactured primarily in the Portland area as well as Central Oregon and out-of-state.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Open until Filled: This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Monday, 03/05/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Schedule, assign, and coordinate the work of Portland Inspection Office inspectors and office staff.
- Train new, temporary, or seasonal employees to perform steel, concrete, and general inspections and testing.
- Monitor expenses for the Portland Inspection Crew.
- Respond to questions from field personnel regarding inspections and tests performed by the Portland Inspection Crew.
- Research and respond to questions from other inspectors.
- Perform inspections at structural steel fabrication plants, concrete prestress plants, precast concrete plants, wood treatment plants, galvanizing plants, fastener fabricators, and sign fabricators.
- Provide technical support to concrete, structural steel, and general inspectors.
- Review contract plans and special provisions to determine inspection requirements, job specifications, and plan accuracy.
- Perform various duties including scheduling vehicle maintenance and repair and adjusting, cleaning, repairing, and maintaining testing equipment.
- Monitor materials qualification records for the Portland area and schedule materials sampling for compliance.
- Review inspection reports originating in the Portland inspection office and other office-related work and reports for accuracy and completeness.
A bachelor's degree in civil engineering, surveying or transportation-related engineering and two years of civil or transportation-related engineering or surveying experience;
Five years of civil or transportation-related engineering or surveying experience. One year of this experience must have been independently planning and completing assignments;
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A current, valid American Welding Society Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) certification is required at time of application to be considered eligible for this position.
- Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Experience managing technical staff or programs associated with inspection/fabrication.
- Experience and/or formal training related to non-destruction evaluations (NDE) of welds.
- Formal education in civil engineering or related field work.
- Experience troubleshooting quality control and quality assurance disparities.
- Daily driving of a passenger vehicle is required.
- Occasional overnight travel required.
- This position requires work in prestressed concrete plants, steel fabrication plants, precast concrete fabrication plants, and wood treatment plants with daily exposure to noise, dust, fumes, heavy equipment, overhead hazards, and walking hazards.
- Work hours may vary with overtime occasionally required.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Monday, 03/05/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying. Apply today! Click here to learn more and to apply.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.