ODOT17-0350OC – La Grande
Oregon Department of Transportation
Maintenance and Operations Branch
Heavy equipment technicians perform maintenance, repairs, and/or modifications to extremely specialized and complex equipment used in highway maintenance, construction and testing throughout the State of Oregon.
This position is responsible for keeping the equipment on-line and ready to use during all critical use periods, ensuring quality, timely, and cost-effective repairs.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU/OPEU).
- This recruitment will remain open until filled. The next application screening is scheduled for Friday, February 16th at 7:00am, but we may close the announcement at any time when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after the first screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
- The goal of this recruitment is to fill this position at a Heavy Equipment Technician 1 level, with an emphasis on fabrication skills. However, we encourage candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for a Heavy Equipment Technician Entry ($2874 - $4144 monthly) to apply, as we may consider under-filling the position until the selected candidate meets the minimum qualifications for a Heavy Equipment Technician 1. Under-fill training will not exceed two years.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform welding, cutting, fabrication, and equipment modification.
- Repair and modification to all ODOT and highway maintenance equipment using mobile and stationary welding and cutting equipment, arc and wire feed welders, acetylene torches, and plasma arc cutters while performing welding, hard facing, brazing, soldering, and cutting processes on a variety of metals.
- Fabricate and modify component parts using drawings, sketches, or based on verbal or written descriptions of intended functions.
- Perform equipment repair, diagnosis, and modification to all types of highway maintenance equipment, including, but not limited to, 10-yard trucks, loaders, backhoes, graders, snow removal equipment, light duty trucks and passenger cars.
- Repair, replace, adjust, or modify equipment components such as gasoline and diesel engines and drive trains, including hydrostatic/mechanical drive systems.
- Troubleshoot, repair, maintain, and modify all types and sizes of highway maintenance, anti-icing, and snow removal equipment in a shop and mobile environment.
- Troubleshoot, repair, install, and adjust air, hydraulic, and mechanical braking systems.
- Repair, maintain, and diagnose vehicle HVAC systems.
- Diagnose and repair ever-changing and complex vehicle electronic computer-controlled systems using a variety of computer diagnostic equipment.
- Diagnose, adjust, and repair closed and open center hydraulic systems and their computerized control systems.
- Conduct test-drives, physical inspection with written documentation, and operational tests on equipment.
- Perform preventive maintenance and inspections according to ODOT or manufacturer's specifications.
- Strong computer skills needed to track daily hours spent on jobs by tasking on and off of work orders in the Fleet Information Management System (FIMS), completion of inspection reports, and documentation of all work performed on equipment.
- Keep Tools, equipment, and work areas safe, clean and hazard-free.
- Maintain inventory of personally owned tools.
- Four (4) years of experience as a journeyman heavy equipment mechanic.
Underfill Qualifications (Heavy Equipment Technician Entry)
- A two year certificate in diesel or heavy equipment mechanics AND
Four (4) years of progressively responsible work in a diesel or heavy equipment mechanics shop,
Six (6) years of progressively responsible work in a diesel or heavy equipment mechanics shop.
- Must have a valid class A commercial drivers' license and acceptable driving record or the ability to obtain one within six (6) months of hire.
- Have a PUC medical examiners' certificate or the ability to obtain one within six (6) months of hire.
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation and presentation.
- Vehicle electronic diagnostics
- Braking systems
- Works in adverse and extreme weather conditions, day or night. Exposed to dust, welding and cutting fumes, exhaust fumes, petroleum products, deicer chemicals and herbicides, and high noise levels sometimes requiring the wearing of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Some daily tasks or duties may require working along roadsides with exposure to traffic, and working alone in isolated and remote areas such as rock pits, stock pile areas and mountain top communication sites.
- Overnight travel and overtime work will be required.
- Requires hard physical labor during all types of conditions, such as standing, bending, stooping, and climbing on, over, under, and around all types of equipment.
- Physical lifting of up to 50 pounds or more is required, with assistance lifting of up to 100 pounds or more on a periodic basis.
- Required to participate in federally-required random drug and alcohol testing.
Learn more and apply today!
This recruitment is open until filled with a first application screening date of on Friday, February 16th, 2018 at 7:00 a.m. Apply today! Click here to learn more or how to apply.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-378-8139.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.