Heavy Equipment Technician 2 – Field Technician
Highway Division – Maintenance and Operations Branch
Do you enjoy working independently? The heavy equipment technician 2, field technician working for the ODOT, Maintenance and Operations Branch works in the field independently performing and coordinating maintenance, repairs, and or modifications to extremely specialized and complex highway maintenance, construction and testing equipment. You will be responsible for keeping the equipment on-line and ready to use during all critical use periods, ensuring quality, timeliness, and cost effectiveness. Come join the ODOT team!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU/OPEU).
- This recruitment will remain open until filled. The next application screening is scheduled for Friday, February 16, 2018 at 7:00am, but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Daily driving of a heavily-loaded service truck and all types of light and heavy duty equipment on and off road, often in adverse and extreme weather conditions, day or night.
- Perform equipment diagnosis and repair. Which include repairing, replacing, adjusting, and maintaining parts and components to all types and sizes of complex light and heavy duty equipment.
- Perform quality equipment annual and PM inspections.
- Perform welding, cutting, fabrication, and equipment modification
- Must manage time effectively to maximize productivity and customer service.
- Repair ODOT and highway maintenance equipment using a variety of techniques, tools and equipment.
- Ensure proper repair using the correct parts, within appropriate time frames and in compliance with established guidelines.
- Perform diagnostic testing on equipment, troubleshoot the root cause, develop solutions and carry out the necessary repairs.
- Complete post repair inspections to ensure the proper function of equipment prior to returning it to service.
- Keep tools, equipment and work areas safe, clean, and hazard-free and uses proper personal protective equipment (PPE) to carry out tasks.
- Read, comprehend and interpret complex repair manuals, service bulletins, complex schematics, intricate engineering diagrams, and oral and written instructions.
- Use personalized computers and laptops, sophisticated electronic testing equipment, and precision measuring devices.
- Record and track time and materials and enter in work order information into the Fleet Information Management System (FIMS).
- Six (6) years of experience as a journeyman Heavy Equipment Mechanic.
- Driving is an essential function of this position. Employee will be required to use a vehicle to conduct business; you must possess and maintain a current, valid class A commercial driver's license (CDL-A) and DOT medical certificate or the ability to obtain one within 6 months of hire. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
- This position may require the acquisition and maintenance of licenses and certifications in such areas as Liquefied Petroleum Gas Fitters License from the Office of the State Fire Marshall.
- Must be able to meet the response time requirement within 30 minutes for emergency call-outs of responding to:
- 19775 OR-86, Baker City OR 97814
Preferred Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Ability to communicate between different levels of management and personnel
- Have great Team player skills
- We may show preference to candidates whose application materials also demonstrate experience repairing, training or working on the following:
- Vehicle Electronic Diagnostics
- Electrical/ computerized hydraulic systems
- Welding and fabrication
Learn more and apply today!
This recruitment is open until filled with a first application screening date of on Friday, February 16, 2018 at 7:00 a.m. Apply today! Click here to learn more or how to apply.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-378-8139.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.