Engineering Specialist 2 – Facilities Designer Drafter
Central Services Division – Facilities Service Branch
Join the ODOT team as a facilities designer drafter in Salem! Engage your talents in architectural and engineering drafting development in planning, construction and maintenance of transportation facilities. In this position, you would provide guidance and direction on the development of facility related standards, procedures and policies to ensure ODOT's facilities are designed, constructed, altered, and maintained within code requirements. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare and develop working drawings and specifications for transportation facilities projects for new and existing buildings, renovations, structural repairs and modifications to existing buildings.
- Analyze architectural and engineering development, design and construction project challenges.
- Apply advanced procedures including the use of pre-manufactured assemblies and components to produce cost effective designs.
- Work independently with minimal supervision on several projects at various stages of development and varying in size and type.
- Create tools and guidance documents using architectural and engineering industry knowledge.
- Apply Building Information Modeling (BIM) software and other architectural and engineering applications in the creation of design standards.
- Advance the understanding of solving architectural and engineering challenges on various structures using BIM technology.
- Develop, standardize and archive records on the facilities project SharePoint website.
- Monitor the facilities design standards program for architectural and engineering of new building construction.
- Serve as the primary facilities designer, drafter, and expert for facilities.
You will need:
- An associate's degree in engineering technology from a community college or technical school of engineering and two years of experience directly related to engineering; OR
- Three and one-half years (42 months) of sub-professional engineering experience; OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Note: If you are currently a Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2 (TMS2) or have been one in the past, in addition to your completed application you will need to attach Section 3 of your TMS2 position description to receive full credit for your related work. If your experience includes work in multiple maintenance disciplines (e.g. Highway, Sign, Bridge, Striping or Landscape) you will need to attach Section 3 of the position description for each of the relevant disciplines.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to coordinate and assist on activities on several concurrent projects, on time and on schedule.
- Experience with Building Information Modeling (BIM) software and other desktop or other architectural and engineering mainframe applications.
- Experience with building construction practices, materials and methods.
- Experience with project plan sheets, standard specifications, manuals, design guides and local, state and federal codes and standards.
- Strong leader in the development of architectural and engineering working drawings and specifications.
- Experience in space planning, adjacency logic diagrams and furniture, fixtures and equipment.
- Work is performed primarily in a typical office environment with extensive and varied use of a personal computer required.
- Long hours and overtime may be required to meet project deadlines.
- Frequent contact with internal and external business partners some of which may be stressful in nature.
- Occasional field work may involve exposure to extreme traffic hazards, construction equipment, inclement weather conditions, and walking on rough terrain, stooping and bending around structures or equipment.
- Occasional in-state travel and overnight travel required.
- Response to facility-related emergencies 24 hours per day, seven days per week required.
Learn more and apply today!
This recruitment closes on Monday, February 19, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Apply today! Click here to learn more or how to apply.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-378-8139.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.