Oregon Department of Transportation
Transportation Telecommunciations Specialist 1-Dispatcher
Central Point, Oregon
Salary: $3,205.00-$4,641.00 Monthly
Do you like helping people in crisis situations? Are you cool, calm, and collected when others are stressed? If so, you might be the perfect fit for our transportation operations specialist position. We are seeking a dynamic individual to fill the role as the transportation telecommunications specialist 1 - dispatcher to help solve incidents of varying complexity.
Transportation telecommunications specialist 1 (TTS) operators monitor the operation of the transportation system, respond to incidents affecting the system, and coordinate transportation related communications and services among internal and external customers.
TTS operators protect the safety of ODOT field crews by:
- Providing a check-in and monitoring location for staff involved in remote or dangerous tasks
- Reducing the duration of incidents by assisting field crews with detection, verification, and implementation of incident response activities.
- Provide information management and communication functions including dispatch to support maintenance and incident response.
- Improve safety and mobility for travelers by providing accurate and up-to-date traveler information about incidents, events, and weather hazards affecting the transportation system.
- Maintain readiness by participating in regular training exercises and emergency operations drills.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Limited Duration: This is a two (2) year limited duration appointment, though the duration can change at any time due to business needs. Limited duration appointments are benefits eligible and have a designated maximum length of service. This position has the potential to become permanent.
- This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU/OPEU).
Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitor transportation system conditions using software and technical equipment including closed circuit television and traffic detectors.
- Implement pre-planned or ad hoc incident response plans including activation of signs and highway advisory radio, paging and notification, and updating traveler information.
- Perform coordination and communications activities.
- Coordinate with other agency dispatch centers and other ODOT Transportation Operation Centers.
- Monitor roadway and weather conditions.
- Implement weather related response plans.
- Input damage reports and notify maintenance crews about needed repairs.
- Receive signal malfunction reports and notify electrical crews about repairs.
- Input or review construction project updates in traveler information systems and notify construction crews of incidents within work zones.
- Periodically monitor and test device status to ensure availability for use when needed.
- Troubleshoot identified problems and work with ITS Maintenance staff to resolve.
- Implementation of detour routes including dispatching of staff and equipment.
Two years of public contact experience that included gathering, relaying, and providing information to others and evaluating activities or incidents and determining an appropriate course of action.
One year of this experience must have included receiving and dispatching emergency requests using radio equipment, telephone, and/or computer.
Successful completion of a Certified Emergency Communications course may substitute for the one year of specialized experience.
We appreciate your interest in this position. For more information and to apply, please go to www.odotjobs.com and search ODOT18-1490oc or click here.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.