Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2 – TMS 2/Striper
Highway Division – Region 2
Region 2 Striping Crew and McMinnville Maintenance Crew
ODOT is recruiting for a split position transportation maintenance specialist 2 who will work with the Region 2 Striping Crew stationed in Salem from approximately mid-April to the end of October and the McMinnville Maintenance Crew stationed in McMinnville from approximately November through March.
The transportation maintenance specialist functions as a member of a maintenance crew and performs manual labor and equipment operation to maintain, repair and/or reconstruct roadway/highway, freeway, bridges, and/or rest area facilities. While serving on the striping crew, the TMS 2 will provide striping and traffic line operations.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
Representation: This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU/OPEU).
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Apply, maintain and/or replace roadway/highway striping and/or legends.
- Remove existing paint using sand blasting or grinding equipment and vehicles.
- Read and interpret plans and layouts for projects.
- Perform surface repair, build or repair roadway shoulders and bike paths.
- Sweep highway/roadway and perform clean-up of sidewalks, graffiti, paving, bridge walks, and islands.
- Maintain, repair or replace metal guardrail, concrete barriers, fences, glare screens, roadway delineators or milepost markers.
- Set out temporary traffic control signs and devices and flag traffic.
- Respond and coordinate accidents and other emergencies and coordinate with other agencies to ensure safety and assist with clean up.
- Perform drainage maintenance by digging and cleaning ditches, catch basins and drainage systems.
- Repair culverts, inlets and erosion.
- Maintain vegetation areas, mow grass, spray pesticides and herbicides, and dispose of roadside debris.
- Repair, replace and/or maintain specific roadway surfaces, sub-layers or shoulders on state highways and/or facilities.
- Plow snow, sand and deice roadways.
- Service and repair equipment and tools.
Two years of maintenance and/or construction experience in roadway/highway, bridge, sign, drawbridge or landscape, AND Experience in each of the following areas:
- Operating heavy and/or light motorized equipment;
- Using hand and power tools;
- Performing minor servicing of equipment,; AND
- Applying safety procedures.
Two years of experience operating construction and maintenance machinery to include one or more of the following types: front-end loader, road grader, bulldozer, backhoe, tractor/low-boy, and 5- or 10- yard dump truck.
- Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
- The employee will be required to use a commercial motor vehicle to conduct business; you must possess a current, valid commercial driver's license A (CDL-A) or CDL-A Permit OR have the ability to obtain a CDL-A Permit within two months of hire and a CDL-A within six months of hire (ODOT will provide training and cover cost) to be considered eligible for this position.
- This position has a maximum response time of 45 minutes to both reporting locations of 1502 N. HWY 99W, McMinnville, OR 97128 and 2460 Turner Road SE, Salem, OR 97302 for emergency call-outs.
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation and presentation.
- Demonstrates safety awareness in work environments with safety rules, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates inclusive behaviors and practices that honor the uniqueness of people's different talents, beliefs and ways of living.
- Demonstrates the ability to use good judgement in making decisions based on logic and consideration of factual information and organizational resources.
- Demonstrates stability of performance under pressure and/or opposition.
- Experience in collaborating with individuals and/or groups to reach common goals.
- A current Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) issued CDL-A.
- The employee in this position is responsible for providing transportation to and from both assigned reporting stations.
- Operate on or near heavy equipment and power tools.
- Exposure to noise, adverse weather, dangerous equipment, pesticides, fertilizers, and hazardous waste materials.
- Manual labor is required. Must walk, stand, bend, and stoop for extended periods of time and lift up to 60 pounds.
- Work closely with hazardous materials such as epoxy/paints, water based paints, thermo plastics, thinners, acetones, etc.
- Must be able to work safely with power and hand tools and be able to operate government vehicles/equipment.
- Employees are to be available at any time for emergency, on-call, and weather-related purposes.
Learn more and apply today!
This recruitment closes on Monday, April 23th, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Apply today! Click here to learn more or to apply.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-378-5799.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.