Landslide and Rockfall Geologist – Professional Geologist 1
Highway Division – Technical Services
We are recruiting for a landslide and rockfall geologist. Key focuses of this dynamic position include:
- Provide assistance in the operation of the Unstable Slopes Program.
- Soil and rock slope analysis and mitigation design procedure development.
- Rock slope stabilization and rockfall mitigation.
This position also develops and operates the rock slope mitigation asset management system and protocols and procedures for the research and field data collection for rockfall mitigation features and other assets.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain the GIS data and metadata for GIS data layers supporting unstable slopes and rockfall mitigation features.
- Assist in developing and maintaining the GIS data and metadata for GIS data layers associated with retaining walls, culverts, unstable slopes, and stormwater features.
- Assist in developing and maintaining documentation of corporate asset information and reporting of inventories and condition assessments.
- Administer the unstable slopes and rock slope mitigation asset management programs.
- Coordinate and conduct office data research and field data collection.
- Assist in developing and maintaining standard specifications, standard special provisions, standard drawings, and standard details.
- Assist in developing policies and programmatic guidance for landslide and rockfall mitigation.
- Participate on technical committees and serve as a member of the engineering geology/geotechnical engineering committee.
- Oversee the operation and technical upgrades of the rock slope and unstable slopes mitigation feature management system.
- Provide advice and recommendations to project team members.
- Assist in developing and delivering engineering geology and geotechnical training.
- Prepare complete project site investigations and designs.
- Conduct quality control and quality assurance reviews of project plans and specifications.
A registered geologist (RG) license from the Oregon State Board of Geologist Examiners.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Experience utilizing soil and rock characterization methodologies.
- Experience with landslide and rockfall mitigation.
- Knowledge of and experience in subsurface exploration for engineering and construction projects.
- This position works in both an office and field environment.
- Frequent travel required, including overnight travel.
- Field work involves exposure to hazardous construction sites, inclement weather, heavy construction equipment, and project sites where blasting with high explosives is occurring.
- Field work occasionally involves working in and around heavy traffic, remote locations, and walking over steep and uneven terrain.
- Must be able to occasionally lift 50 pound sample bags.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, April 30, 2018.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.