State Traffic-Roadway Engineer – Principal Executive/Manager G
Highway Division – Technical Services
The Oregon Department of Transportation exercises leadership and vision in promoting, developing, and managing a statewide network of transportation systems and facilities.
We are recruiting for the state traffic-roadway engineer. This position provides statewide leadership, management, and supervision for Traffic Engineering and Traffic Design; Roadway Engineering and Roadway Design; Access Management and Project Letting procedures. This position is responsible for statewide specifications, standards and procedures pertaining to the roadway discipline and the traffic discipline. The state traffic-roadway engineer is the delegated department authority for traffic control device approvals on the state highway system. This position is also responsible for developing and maintaining various transportation and safety programs as well as traffic and roadway engineering standards for all public roads on a statewide level.
This position is the manager of the Traffic-Roadway Section in Technical Services and manages through subordinate unit managers the Office of Project Letting, the Access Management group, the Traffic Engineering Unit, and the Roadway Engineering Unit.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This recruitment is to augment the candidate pool generated by job announcement ODOT17-1625oc. If you have previously applied for this position, you do not need to re-apply. Names of qualified applicants will remain on the list for further consideration.
The successful candidate will become part of the state's management team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, direct, and supervise all activities of the Traffic-Roadway Section.
- Manage the Traffic-Roadway Section biennial and annual budgets, performance measurement, personnel, employee training, affirmative action, and safety.
- Oversee the operations of the Roadway Engineering Unit through the Roadway Engineering Unit Manager.
- Provide statewide consistency in the interpretation and application of roadway design and operations standards, policies, and procedures.
- Oversee the operations of the Traffic Engineering and Standards Unit through the Traffic Unit Manager.
- Provide statewide consistency in the interpretation and application of traffic design and operations, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Oversee the operations of the Office of Project Letting and the Access Management Group through the Office of Project Letting Unit Manager.
- Provide statewide consistency in the interpretation and application of project letting and access management standards, policies, and procedures.
- Participate in statewide and national groups to evaluate issues, solve problems, represent state and department interests, and implement relevant national programs and decisions.
- Assist in developing department and Technical Services Branch direction, procedures, and policies.
Six (6) years of management experience in a public or private organization that included responsibility for each of the following:
a) Development of program rules and policies.
b) Development of long- and short-range goals and plans.
c) Program evaluation, and
d) Budget preparation.
In the "Work History" section on your resume, you must clearly describe your experience in each of the a), b), c), d) areas listed. Failure to provide this information may result in eliminating your application from further consideration.
- This position requires a valid Professional Engineer's (PE) license in civil or transportation-related engineering.
- Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine who we invite to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Demonstrated strategic, visionary leadership for significant organizational initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to gain the voluntary support of external and internal stakeholders in decisions and the ability to build effective partnerships.
- Experience in the roadway engineering discipline and the traffic engineering discipline.
- Typical office environment with occasional field work.
- Field work includes visits to locations and project sites where there may be exposure to traffic.
- This position interacts with internal and external stakeholders who may be adversarial at times.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, April 24, 2018.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.