OREGON DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Field Service Technician - Information Systems Specialist 5
White City, Oregon
ODOT is currently hiring for a field service technician located in White City. The primary purpose of this position is to provide technical support for client/server systems deployed statewide by Information Systems (IS). You will become a member of a team focused on analyzing Oregon Department of Transportation's (ODOT) business requirements relative to technology solutions and managing projects to deploy that technology. As the field service technician, this position provides technical consulting and assistance for a complex multi-platform, multi-vendor distributed statewide computing environment. You will travel to remote locations is often part of the work assignment to diagnose or repair IT systems.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides on-site and/or phone diagnosis and solutions
- Resolves most server-to-PC connectivity issues
- Prioritizes problems received from various providers including ODOT's Problem Management System, Computer Support Desk, Enterprise Technology technicians, and customer input
- Evaluates and replaces required parts and equipment as needed
- Configures client software, i.e., ODBC drivers, e-mail access, protocol adapters, etc.
- Required to work independently and make on-the-spot decisions that are in the best interest of the agency
- Installs software and technology new to the agency
- Upgrades software to the latest agency-approved versions
- Evaluates and corrects software incompatibility issues
- Analyses system performance and makes recommendations that would increase performance
- Responsible for on-site hardware problem evaluation, analysis of error codes, physical repair, and replacement of PC components
- Assists other IS units in the evaluation and repair of infrastructure components
- Assists IS with lists of equipment that is not capable of electronic inventory
- Installs new IS equipment that has been approved by the agency
- Business needs require willingness to work irregular hours (weekends, evenings, holidays, and to travel for job related purposes).
- You must be able to lift PC's and related equipment up to 60 pounds. Position requires driving on an as needed basis to respond to problems and provide service at varying locations.
Qualifications, Required & Requested Skills
(a) Four (4) years of information systems experience in desktop support in an enterprise environment;
(b) An Associate's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field, OR completion of a two (2) year accredited vocational training program in information technology or related field; AND two (2) years of information systems experience in desktop support in an enterprise environment;
(c) A Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field may substitute for all of the above.
We appreciate your interest in this position. To apply, please go to www.odotjobs.com and search ODOT18-1495oc or click here.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.