Operations Surveyor – Professional Land Surveyor 1
Highway Division – Technical Services
We are recruiting for an operations surveyor to join our Engineering Automation Section – Geometronics Unit in Salem. This person will serve as one of ODOT's recognized experts on land survey standards, policies, procedures, and operational issues.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our next application screening is scheduled for Tuesday, 05/01/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
- This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide training and instruction in field location and construction survey automation procedures.
- Ensure proper and efficient use of electronic survey equipment by working directly with survey crews.
- Process and analyze survey data by working directly with office engineering personnel using computer design and drafting equipment.
- Assist in developing new standards, procedures, and policies related to surveying.
- Maintain knowledge of all aspects of surveying, highway design, highway construction, boundary monumentation, federal government requirements, and related Oregon laws.
- Provide technical assistance related to ODOT survey procedures to internal and external stakeholders.
- Research and test new survey instruments and software for future procurement.
- Work directly with survey crews when using specialized equipment for short-term non-standard surveying situations.
- Work with survey vendors to maintain current on new developments and technology and provide information and serve as a technical resource for field personnel.
- Work with other sections of ODOT to coordinate activities related to automation.
A valid professional land surveyor (PLS) license.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience using survey equipment and survey software.
- Experience in developing and delivering technical training and presentations.
- This position works in both office and field environments.
- Extensive overnight statewide travel may be required.
- Field work and travel may be in adverse weather conditions.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our next application screening is scheduled for Tuesday, 05/01/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.