Professional Engineer 1 - Hydraulic Engineer
Highway Division - Region 2
ODOT is recruiting for a hydraulic engineer to join our team in Salem! In this key role, you will perform hydraulic engineering and designs for routine to complex highway projects in support of project delivery, construction, maintenance and emergency projects. Put your engineering design skills into action producing high quality contract plans, specifications, cost estimates, reports and maintenance manuals for stormwater facilities.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Represent the hydraulic engineering discipline and coordinate design resolutions on project teams.
- Recommend design alternatives and complete design solutions for projects.
- Provide analysis and design for bridge hydraulics, scour protection, large culverts and retaining walls.
- Develop designs for streambank restorations, stream erosion protection and stormwater facilities.
- Analyze and calculate quantity estimates and construction details for contract estimates, plans and specifications.
- Create 3-D computer models using InRoads and MicroStation software and integrate hydraulic features into the computer models.
- Provide final plans, specifications and estimates to technical center units for stormwater facilities.
- Inspect and evaluate maintenance challenges involving scour, drainage, sediment control, collapsed culverts, and stormwater quality.
- Provide hydraulic review for maintenance permit applications, development plans and local agency projects.
- A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation and presentation.
- Knowledge of hydraulic engineering principles and methods.
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.), and other specialty hydraulic related computer software.
- Design experience in hydraulic engineering related to transportation, such as culverts, stormwater detention and water quality facilities, bridges, scour, and fish passage design.
- Experience in 3-D computer modeling using software that may include alignments and geometric surfaces for design such as MicroStation and InRoads.
- Experience working on multi-disciplinary design teams to collaboratively develop transportation projects.
- Work is performed predominantly in an office environment with extensive computer use.
- Periodic field work includes walking or climbing on steep rough terrain, working in streams or over water, exposure to hazardous plants, animals and emergency situations.
- This position may occasionally require long working hours and overnight travel.
Learn more and apply today!
This recruitment closes on Tuesday, May 3rd, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Click here to learn more or to apply!
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.