Traffic Control Systems Engineer – Professional Engineer 1
Highway Division – Technical Services
ODOT's Traffic Engineering Unit oversees the use of temporary and permanent traffic control devices to provide for the safe and efficient movement of people and goods.
We are recruiting for a traffic control systems engineer to join our team in Salem. This person provides technical expertise and leadership in the development, evaluation, and deployment of new technology related to traffic signal control systems and software.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This recruitment is to augment the candidate pool generated by job announcement ODOT18-1555oc. If you have previously applied for this position, you do not need to re-apply. Names of qualified applicants will remain on the list for further consideration.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and evaluate traffic control strategies.
- Serve as liaison for traffic control system research and development projects.
- Lead the transition of new technology from test phase to mainstream technology.
- Develop partnerships for ensuring interoperability of traffic control systems equipment deployed in Oregon.
- Recommend and implement statewide traffic signal control system standards.
- Maintain central system database and operations.
- Design illumination projects including developing plans, specifications, and estimates under the direction of the illumination engineer.
- Review contractor submittals and provide engineering support for construction.
- Review and approve designs, specifications, estimates, and other reports produced by consultants.
- Plan, provide, and/or arrange training on new technology and standards for implementation, operation, and maintenance.
- Recommend, develop, and monitor preventative maintenance strategies.
- Research, develop, and implement standards, specifications, and procedures for illuminate design statewide.
- Review plans, specifications, and engineering estimates prepared by region tech centers, consultants, and local agencies.
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, electrical and computer, control systems or other transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Professional engineer (PE) license based in electrical and computer or control systems engineering.
- Experience in electrical engineering such as control systems, systems engineering, electronics, and communications.
- Experience leading group collaboration.
- Experience working with a variety of personalities and people with differing and diverse opinions.
- Work is performed in a typical office environment with occasional field work.
- Field work may be at night or involve exposure to heavy traffic.
- Occasional travel, including overnight and out-of-state travel is required.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, May 21, 2018.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.