Quality Assurance Technician – Engineering Specialist 3
Highway Division – Technical Services
Join us in keeping Oregon's roadways safe!
We are recruiting for a quality assurance technician to join our Quality Assurance Unit in Salem. This position performs required quality assurance testing to ensure contract compliance throughout Region 2. This person helps to maintain consistency and quality in construction through performing verification sampling and testing of construction materials. The quality assurance technician serves as a resource to agency and contractor personnel in proper sampling and testing procedures.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Open until Filled: This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Wednesday, 05/23/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive to locations and obtain quality assurance test samples at contractor/supplier production facilities or project work locations.
- Conduct complex and specialized tests on construction materials.
- Evaluate test results for compliance with specifications and recommend acceptance, rejection, or alternative uses of construction materials.
- Maintain records of received material samples and test results.
- Conduct research testing on materials.
- Review contractor quality control programs including soils, aggregate, Portland cement concrete (PCC) paving, structural concrete, asphalt, and other highway construction materials.
- Inspect contractor production facilities, laboratories, and equipment.
- Randomly verify proper certifications, monitor, and counsel contractors' technicians in their performance to promote accuracy and adherence to proper testing procedures.
- Advise the project manager and quality assurance personnel of any deficiencies encountered.
- Maintain repair, and calibrate laboratory and field testing machines and equipment.
- Perform nuclear gauge calibration and/or verify calibration for nuclear moisture-density gauges.
- Assist in training and proctor exams at the yearly technician schools.
- Mentor personnel on testing procedures, sampling, and reviewing of test data.
- Attend technical seminars and training to keep current on construction design, testing, and production practices and procedures.
An associate's degree in engineering technology from a recognized community college or technical school of engineering and four years of experience directly related to engineering;
Five and one-half years (66 months) of sub-professional engineering experience;
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Experience and/or formal training performing materials testing, including two or more of the following ODOT technician certifications and the ability to obtain the technician certifications within six (6) months of employment start date, allowing for the technician certification training schedule.
- Certified Aggregate Technician.
- Certified Embankment Technician.
- Certified Asphalt Technician 1.
- Certified Density Technician.
- Quality Control Technician.
- Work is primarily performed outdoors with work also performed in a typical office environment.
- Occasionally must drive a vehicle for long periods and must be able to drive both day and night.
- Workload has competing demands with long hours and subject to being on call 24 hours/day, 7 days/week (including holidays).
- Work includes direct contact with contractors and the public who may be adversarial at times.
- Field work involves exposure to hazards of traffic, inclement weather, and construction equipment.
- May be required to walk on rough terrain or uneven slopes, stoop or bend around structures or equipment, or climb up/down ladders or equipment.
- This position must work with hazardous chemicals, equipment, and radioactive sources.
- May be required to perform frequent lifting and carrying up to 60 pounds of materials, samples, and equipment, with occasional lifting and carrying over 60 pounds. Must follow safety procedures for weights exceeding 60 pounds.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Wednesday, 05/23/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.