Senior Hydraulic Engineer – Professional Engineer 2
Highway Division – Region 2 Tech Center
ODOT is looking for a senior hydraulic engineer in Salem! In this key role, you will plan, direct and design our most complex and unique designs on major projects in support of project delivery, maintenance, construction and emergency response. This person is an engineering expert in the specialty areas of hydraulic design and acts as the lead engineer on our most complex and challenging design projects. Put your professional hydraulic engineering expertise in action as you work creatively to develop design solutions where no precedent exists. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Independently design bridge hydraulics, scour protection, culvert, fish passage, streambank restoration, stormwater detention and water quality features.
- Provide leadership to internal designers and management by providing the vision for the direction of hydraulic engineering design.
- Participate on project teams and represent the hydraulic engineering discipline.
- Recommend design alternatives and complete design solutions for projects.
- Coordinate the work of other hydraulic designers and consultants on large projects.
- Create 3-D computer models and integrate hydraulic features into the computer models.
- Provide final plans, specifications and estimates for stormwater facilities.
- Act as contract administrator for consultant contracts, including developing scope of work, consultant selection and negotiation.
- Mentor other professional designers, engineers, and technicians.
- Coordinate with peers to ensure that hydraulic design policies and standards are current and appropriate.
- Provide quality control review of the hydraulic design and details of minor to complex projects prepared by other engineers.
- Provide technical assistance to designers related to hydraulic engineering design and detailing.
- A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering AND three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
NOTE: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license, an acceptable driving record and the ability to drive are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Knowledge of hydraulic engineering principles and methods.
- Design experience in hydraulic engineering on complex projects involving culverts, stormwater detention and water quality facilities, bridges, scour and fish passage design.
- Experience in hydraulic and 3-D computer modeling software.
- Experience in a senior or lead engineering role.
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment with frequent field work required.
- Field work may require exposure to traffic hazards, walking or climbing on steep, sloped, and/or rough terrain, working in streams or over water, bending around structures or equipment, exposure to loud noise, hazardous plants, adverse weather and animals and emergency situations.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, June 4th, 2018.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-378-5799.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.