Maryland State Highway Administration (OPEN)
Regional Planner (Administrator III)
GRADE 18 (2588) (SP# 18-50.0-11)
YOU MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION
THE RECONSIDERATION PERIOD FOR THIS RECRUITMENT IS FIVE (5) BUSINESS DAYS
The Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration's Regional & Intermodal Planning Division (Baltimore City) is recruiting for a Regional Planner (Administrator III) position. This position is open to anyone who meets the minimum and selective qualifications* listed below. This is a position specific recruitment. The resulting list of eligible candidates will be used to fill these vacancies, and may be used to fill future vacancies in this classification in the Regional & Intermodal Planning Division (Baltimore City).
The Regional Planner is responsible for coordinating and having a knowledge of planning activities in their respective areas (Rural, Baltimore or Washington). This position manages the work of assistants and/or consultants. This position represents the MDOT SHA/MDOT at meetings with local government officials, outside agencies, area business/civic/community organizations, elected officials and appointed officials and the general public.
This position may also be involved with feasibility studies and concept plan and contributes extensively to the development and presentation of the Department's capital program, the Consolidated Transportation Program. The position also reviews local comprehensive plans and major land use development proposals, contributes to the development of systems level, long-range transportation plans, and undertakes extensive liaison activities with local government staff. Duties also include drafting of correspondence and briefing material for higher level SHA managers, the MDOT Secretary and the Governor.
EDUCATION: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years of experience in administrative or professional work. One (1) year of this experience must have involved one or more of the following: the supervision of other employees, overseeing and coordinating the general operations of a unit, applying rules and regulations, or exercising responsibility for the development of policies or procedures.
SELECTIVE QUALIFICATION: Two (2) years of experience in Transportation Planning.
*A selective qualification recruitment is conducted for positions when there is a specific or additional bona fide occupational qualification (i.e., knowledge, skill, or ability).
Consideration for employment may be based solely on the contents of your application; therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information. Please include all relevant experience on your application. This includes, but is not limited to, full or part-time, volunteer, military, acting capacity, or any other experience that is relevant to the position you are applying for.
If you have held more than one (1) position at the same employer, you must list each position that you held, the length of time that you held each position, and the corresponding duties.
1. Additional experience in administrative or professional work may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Additional graduate level education at an accredited college or university may be substituted at the rate of 30 semester credit hours on a year-to-year basis for the required general experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience involving staff work related to the administration of rules, regulations, policies, procedures and processes, or overseeing or coordinating unit operations or functioning as a staff assistant on a year-for-year basis for the required education and experience.
• The applicant should be familiar with the Maryland Department of Transportation's Consolidated Transportation Program annual elected official's tour.
• The applicant should be familiar with the metropolitan and statewide transportation planning requirements.
• The applicant should be familiar with ArcGIS, and Microsoft Office software.
TO APPLY: All applicants must submit an application online at http://agency.governementjobs.com/mdotmd
(use of this option allows the application to be saved). Since the test may be a rating of the information contained in the application, it is essential that the application is filled out completely and accurately. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. To receive credit for your work history and credentials you must list the information in the online DTS-1 application form. You may refer to a resume only to expand on information offered in the body of the online DTS-1 application. Please include all relevant experience on your application. This includes, but is not limited to, full or part-time, volunteer, military, acting capacity, or any other experience that is relevant to the position you are applying for. Selected candidates may be subject to background and reference checks. A conviction is not an automatic disqualification from employment. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply. All candidates serve an initial probationary period of 6 months, which may be extended to 12 months.
The State of Maryland offers excellent health and leave benefits, 401k benefits, pension plan a free transit program, and advanced education and training opportunities.
The incumbent in this position may be a member of a covered bargaining unit and may be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
Please Note: The Maryland State Highway Administration will no longer sponsor new employees in application of the H-1B Visa. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States under the Immigration and Reform Control Act of 1986. Federal regulations prohibit H-1B Visa candidates from paying sponsorship fees, all sponsorship fees must be assumed by the potential employer.
Applications must be submitted online by the closing date.
If you have any questions please contact the Recruitment and Examination Division at the number(s) listed below:
410-545-5554 or 1-877-743-9311
Appropriate auxiliary aids and services for qualified individuals with disabilities will be provided upon request. Please call at 410-545-5554 or the Maryland Relay Service at 1-800-735-2258.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. SHA does not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, creed, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, or sexual orientation.
Regional Planner (Administrator III) Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. Do you possess at least five (5) years of administrative/professional experience?
* 2. Do you possess at least two (2) years of experience in transportation planning?
* 3. Please describe your experience as it relates to Transportation Planning. You must include where and when you received this experience. ***THESE DUTIES MUST ALSO BE DESCRIBED IN THE WORK EXPERIENCE SECTION OF YOUR APPLICATION*** If you do not possess this experience please type N/A.