Remote Sensing Surveyor – Professional Land Surveyor 1
Highway Division – Technical Services
We are recruiting for a remote sensing surveyor to join our Engineering Automation Section – Geometronics Unit in Salem. This position works with the lead remote sensing surveyor to acquire LiDAR scan data and aerial photographs. This person leads a team responsible for preparation of point clouds, mosaics, planimetric/topographic maps, and digital terrain models used in support of transportation improvement projects.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our next application screening is scheduled for Thursday, 05/31/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
- This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead a 3-D laser scanning survey crew responsible for the field data collection, data processing, and analysis.
- Oversee the operation of a variety of survey equipment; stationary 3-D laser scanner, truck mounted 3-D mobile scanner, and unmanned aircraft system (UAS).
- Oversee the use of a variety of survey software used in point cloud, aerial imagery, and survey data processing.
- Lead a team of land surveyors responsible for the development of remote sensing products of varying difficulty from simple to complex.
- Oversee remote sensing survey associates in work activities required to prepare planimetric/topographic maps and digital terrain models.
- Develop project workflow plan and monitor project progress.
- Coordinate with ODOT staff for mapping details.
- Edit and perform quality control checks in software platforms.
- Maintain project file information and indexes.
- Evaluate and recommend technical training needs, provide on-the-job training, and review the work of survey associates.
- Serve as a technical resource for remote sensing related issues.
A valid professional land surveyor (PLS) license.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Knowledge of the operation and management of small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS).
- Knowledge of remote sensing data file types and processing software.
- Knowledge of computer programming and scripting used in the manipulation remote sensing data types.
- Experience in geographic information systems (GIS) and the manipulation of GIS data sets.
- Experience in geodetic surveying procedures, Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS), and the processing of Inertial Navigation Systems (INS) data sets.
- This position works primarily indoor in an office work using computers with occasional field work outdoors required.
- Normal operation of remote sensing equipment may require extended periods of sitting in one position and maintaining the same position.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our next application screening is scheduled for Thursday, 05/31/2018 at 8:00 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.