Associate Designer – Associate in Engineering 1
Highway Division – Region 2 Tech Center
Join us in keeping Oregon's roadways safe!
We are recruiting for an associate designer to join our Region 2 Roadway Unit. This position is a member of an innovative design team responsible for the design of the roadway portion of contract plans and the coordination of the overall continuity of contract plans for less complex transportation projects. Design consideration includes roadway geometrics, striping, storm sewer and culvert design, right of way requirements, stage construction, traffic handling requirements, safety features, cost, and constructability. Projects normally assigned include:
- Rural and urban highway preservation.
- Minor bridge replacement, rehabilitation, or widening.
- Minor intersection or channelization.
ODOT Region Map
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and design the roadway portion of plans and estimates on less complex transportation construction and reconstruction projects.
- Serve as a resource to construction staff on design related and other project issues.
- Participate in providing technical and procedural guidance on project development and project delivery issues.
- Collaborate with ODOT and consultant survey staffs in referencing and gathering field data.
- Coordinate the contract plans preparation and consult with other ODOT units and offices, local agencies, and consultants.
- Prepare and analyze design alternatives during project delivery.
- Participate on multi-discipline project scoping teams and serve as the Roadway Unit representative.
- Assist senior design staff in plans preparation or project cost estimating.
A bachelor's degree in civil or transportation-related engineering.
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Work experience related to a transportation/infrastructure environment.
- Strong communication skills.
- Work is performed in a typical office environment with use of a computer workstation.
- Occasional field scoping and inspection trips required.
- Must frequently attend meetings throughout Region 2.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, May 29, 2018.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.