Construction Claims Engineer – Professional Engineer 2
Highway Division – Technical Services and Engineering Branch
We are recruiting for a construction claims engineer to join our Contract Administration Unit. This position acts as one of our principal experts on construction claims and the policies and statues that apply to their resolution. This person provides engineering based analysis on complex construction and contractual issues and monitors, reviews, and analyzes individual claims statewide pursuing resolution at the lowest possible level of the claims process through mediation, negotiation, and recommending settlements and justifications.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide statewide expertise in the evaluation and analysis of contract claims, including recommendations related to issues of entitlement and amounts to settle claim disputes.
- Assist in the dispute resolution process.
- Act as the statewide expert on construction schedule specifications, including specification development.
- Provide high level technical engineering analysis of contract schedules.
- Provide analysis of requests for adjustment of contract time by contractors.
- Advise field personnel and ODOT staff on a variety of contract issues.
- Coordinate litigation support teams and all requests from the trial attorneys for information, work products, depositions, and court appearances.
- Assist in case preparation, strategies, and exhibits during trials.
- Monitor and coordinate construction contract claims on a statewide basis.
- Maintain claims database and generate monthly claim report.
- Provide feedback to designers, specification writers, and project manager staff.
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering and three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Demonstrated experience interpreting and enforcing contract documents.
- Experience researching and developing a position and defending that position to others, including contractors, attorneys, and agency/organization personnel.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated focus on customer service including timely response to email and telephone inquiries.
- Work is performed in a typical office environment with use of a personal computer.
- Statewide travel is required to ODOT offices, contractor or attorney offices, field on-site investigations, and informal or formal meetings in temporary locations or confined settings such as depositions or courtrooms.
- Travel is required approximately 1 to 4 times a month, but may be more extensive during active trials.
- Conditions in some cases may be adversarial where restraint, composure, and the ability to function well in a hostile environment is essential.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, June 14, 2018.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.