- Provide technical information and advice on paving and pavement materials to department and industry personnel.
- Provide complex construction project consultation in paving and in the application of related specifications.
- Determine solutions for problems encountered during surfacing construction to approved design.
- Provide guidance to project personnel when problems develop in the production, placement, and finishing activities of pavements, the application of specifications, and other phases of asphalt concrete and cement concrete pavements construction.
- Review and inspect projects for compliance to specifications on difficult or sensitive projects and recommend improvements in requirements.
- Assemble and analyze data gathered from paving projects and prepare reports.
- Recommend changes or improvements in construction process, design, and/or specifications.
- Assist in and conduct training of field personnel in the construction techniques of placement of paving.
- Coordinate the program for contractors' profilometers certification.
- Research, investigate, develop, and analyze data and report on findings for new methods or equipment used in the pavements construction.
A bachelor's degree in civil engineering, surveying or transportation-related engineering and four (4) years of civil or transportation-related engineering or surveying experience.
Seven (7) years of civil or transportation-related engineering or surveying experience. Two years of this experience must have been independently planning and completing assignments in drafting, field or laboratory inspection, construction contract administration, surveying, materials testing, or traffic investigations.
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Pavement construction experience.
- Asphalt and/or concrete mix design experience.
- Effective verbal communication skills, particularly in teaching, mentoring, and collaboration.
- Experience managing projects, people, or programs.
The following working conditions can occur daily during construction season:
- Must work day and/or night shifts at construction sites around heavy construction equipment and at paving plants.
- May be required to lift 50 to 70 pounds of paving materials and aggregates samples.
- May be required to walk on rough terrain or uneven slopes, stoop or bend around structures or equipment, or climb ladders or equipment.
- Frequent statewide travel required, including on weekends and in all weather conditions.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, June 19, 2018.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.