Work Zone Engineer – Professional Engineer 2
Highway Division – Technical Services and Engineering Branch
Engineer you future at ODOT!
Are you passionate about leading others? Do you thrive in a collaborative work environment? We are recruiting for the state work zone engineer to lead the work of our talented traffic control plans team and to serve as ODOT's statewide expert on traffic control plans design. This position works collaboratively with ODOT staff while researching, developing, and implementing standards, specifications, and training related to traffic control plans design and construction.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research, develop, and implement standard drawings, standard specifications, and policies and procedures related to traffic control plans design statewide.
- Review and make recommendations on exceptions to design standards, specifications, and procedures.
- Research, develop, and implement statewide standards, engineering detail sheets, specifications, and cost estimating procedures.
- Develop and provide training for internal and external stakeholders in the concepts of designing Traffic Control Plans.
- Provide technical guidance and assistance to design personnel responsible for designing temporary traffic control plans, cost estimates, and project specifications.
- Respond to inquiries from within ODOT, other state agencies, cities, counties, consultants, and the public.
- Provide guidance and mentorship related to temporary traffic control for work zones.
- Coordinate and lead work zone reviews and meetings with project managers.
- Assign and direct work activities of the traffic control plan team and mentor and collaborate with team members.
- Review traffic control plans prepared by regions and consultants as part of temporary speed zone requests.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance on complex work zone and traffic control issues and design standards.
- Participate in statewide and national meetings sponsored by ODOT or external groups.
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering and three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Knowledge of work zone traffic control principles.
- Strong communication skills and experience training others.
- Experience leading group collaboration.
- Experience leading others within a work group, task, or project.
- Work is primarily performed in a typical office environment with occasional field work required.
- Field work may involve exposure to heavy traffic conditions and inclement weather.
- Must be able to travel statewide when necessary.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, June 20, 2018.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.