Assistant Structure Services Engineer – Professional Engineer 1
Highway Division – Technical Services and Engineering Branch
ODOT's Structure Services Unit manages structure coating and material quality and tests products to determine if they qualify for use on highway projects. Join us in keeping Oregon's roadways safe!
We are recruiting for an assistant structure services engineer to assist our team of engineers in our Structure Services Unit in providing excellent engineering support within ODOT. Key focuses include:
- Assist the structure materials engineer in providing technical support in the area of structural materials and construction practices.
- Assist the structure quality engineer in reviewing structure construction projects statewide to maintain the highest level of quality in the statewide structure construction program.
- Assist the structure coatings engineer in solving engineering problems encountered while painting bridges and other structures.
- Assist the concrete quality coordinator in reviewing mix designs and solving concrete quality issues.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in reviewing statewide structure construction projects for compliance.
- Assist in construction inspection training, instruction, and support to inspectors and other field personnel.
- Recommend improvements in structure designs, specifications, materials, and construction practices.
- Assist in providing structural materials technical support to ODOT and consultant design, construction, and maintenance personnel.
- Provide welding engineering support, including code interpretation.
- Write specifications related to materials and current construction practices.
- Oversee pre-approved precast concrete producers and wood treaters programs.
- Assist in solving engineering problems encountered while painting bridges and other structures.
- Assist in developing and administering department technical training and certification.
- Schedule classes and obtain facilities, equipment, supplies, and necessary personnel to assist in training and examination sessions.
- Serve as a construction inspection program technical resource for ODOT staff and consultants.
- Assist in reviewing concrete mix designs and providing feedback to the industry.
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Experience related to structure materials and construction practices.
- Training and experience related to technical report or specification writing.
- Experience troubleshooting quality control verses quality assurance disparities.
- Work is performed 50% or more of the time outdoors, including in inclement weather.
- Extensive statewide travel required.
- Overtime may be required depending on contractor schedule and workload, including on weekends and during night hours.
- Must drive a passenger vehicle in cities and on highways statewide daily.
- Must work at construction sites, on high structures, and around heavy construction equipment in all weather conditions.
- May be required to walk on rough terrain or uneven slopes; stoop or bend around structures or equipment; or climb up/down ladders or equipment.
Learn More and Apply!
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, June 25, 2018.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 503-986-7146 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.