Right-of-Way Agent 2 - Senior Appraisal Analyst
ODOT17-1218oc - Salem
The primary purpose of this position is to advance the primary mission and goals of the department's construction program by setting just compensation for property rights and by maintaining responsibility for all appraisal and appraisal review policies and programs for the department. As the lead agency designated by FHWA for conformance with federal law in the use of eminent domain, this responsibility encompasses all state and local public agencies which utilize federal or state participation in their transportation projects. Accurately establishing Just Compensation sets the basis for all subsequent eminent domain work leading up to property acquisition, occupant relocation and project construction.
- This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE)
- Frequent statewide travel at all times of the year requiring overnight stays; occasional regional interstate travel for conferences and seminars will require driving which is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
| Duties & Responsibilities:|
|The person in this position reviews appraisals submitted by staff appraisers, independent fee appraisers and occasionally by Right of Way Project Managers and supervisors to ensure that the estimate of just compensation derived from the appraisal is reasonable and adequately supported. The Review Appraiser establishes the estimate of just compensation before an offer can be made to acquire the property needed for public projects.|
- Perform comprehensive desk and field reviews to ensure that appraisals contain all required data and information, which calculations are correct and appraisal techniques are properly applied.
- Inspect subject property and comparable sales data in field in the areas of concern raised in the detailed review or audit.
- Determine if the following have been addressed in each review or audit: highest and best use, adequacy of data search, adequacy and comparability of approaches to value, damages to the remainder and whether compensable or non-compensable, project influence disregarded, any uneconomic remnants, etc. Approve, reject, request additional data, support or explanation, request another appraisal, or provide own support, explanation or documentation for independent conclusion of value and just compensation.
- Participate as a member of the work team, participate in and lead the State's Appraisal Advisory Team. Duties may include preparing for meetings, leading the team, presenting and sponsoring action items and crew team proposals; and give honest, open feedback during critiques.
- Meet with project managers, staff appraisers, independent fee appraisers, consultant appraisal reviewers and, occasionally, Region supervisors to provide technical advice and assistance in appraisal problem areas.
- Consult with Department of Justice, answer questions and provide clarification regarding appraisal reviews.
- Occasionally provide technical assistance and guidance to cities, counties and other public agencies to ensure eligibility for federal-aid funding in the area of appraisals.
- Prepare and manage contracts used to hire a consultant Review Appraiser.
| Qualifications, Required & Requested Skills:|
The 'Work Experience' and/or 'Education' sections of your application must clearly describe how you meet the qualifications for this position as listed below; you must also answer supplemental questions.
A resume' or position description will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Five years of experience in appraising land, commercial and residential property for market value;
OR managing complex property transactions for the purchase or sale of property;
OR managing a large property portfolio for a complex organization;
OR relocating displaced individuals or businesses.
Preference will be given to individuals with:
- Eminent Domain Appraisal Experience
- Certified General Appraisal License
- Professional Designation from any of the following: Appraisal Institute, American Society of Appraisers, ASFMRA, IRWA.
Note: A Bachelor's Degree in business or public administration, forestry, agriculture, civil engineering, geology, geography, real estate, communications or related degree may substitute for three years of the required experience.
| Additional Information:|
Criminal background checks will be conducted on final candidates including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS, and/or education verification as required for the position. Veterans' Preference:
Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be give veterans' preference. To receive preference you MUST attach appropriate documentation as outlined by the Department of Administrative Services at the following website: Veterans Resources
. You may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at 1-800-692-9666. Questions:
For questions about the job announcement, call 1-503-986-3774.
For technical help with online application, call 1-855-524-5627.