WSDOT is currently looking for enthusiastic engineers who have a passion for creative solutions, innovation, and can provide success in collaborative efforts. The Olympia Project Engineering Office in Tumwater is currently seeking to fill two Lead Design Engineer positions to assist in the delivery of fish passable water crossing design projects within the Olympic Region. These positions will be part of collaborative design teams and be responsible for design documentation and preparation of plans, specifications, and construction estimates for key highway design and construction projects. The future incumbents will play a pivotal role in meeting the agency’s goals and objectives.
These positions will perform the following work:
• Prepare design documentation, contract plans, specifications, and cost estimates.
• Coordinate with, and review and incorporate data from support offices.
• Interpret data, identify problems and develop solutions using sound engineering judgment and guidelines on complicated transportation projects.
• Scope, develop, and monitor progress of projects.
• Effectively utilize design software to complete designs.
• Train and lead team members.
• Communicate both orally and in writing, and work in a cooperative and courteous manner with the public, contractors, supervisors, and other department staff.
• Occasionally travel to project sites for field reviews.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
• Solid understanding of engineering principles, practices, and methods and the ability to apply them to assigned projects to ensure compliance with established standards and procedures.
• The ability to read, interpret, understand, review and prepare contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
• Strong communication skills both in the written and verbal form.
• Experience using computer aided drafting and design systems for design of highway projects.
• The ability to transport, manipulate, and move into positon materials and equipment weighing up to 30 pounds.
• Valid driver’s license.
The ideal candidate will also have one of the following:
• Certification as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) and one year of experience as a Transportation Engineer I, Transportation Technician 3, Transportation Planning Specialist 1, Bridge Engineer 1 or equivalent.
• Two years of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, Transportation Planning Specialist 1, Bridge Engineer I or equivalent.
To view the entire announcement and to apply, please visit:: TE2