Announcement: ODOT17-1262ocStructural Designer - Associate in Engineering 2Highway Division – Technical Services Portland
ODOT's Bridge Engineering Section is responsible for the design, design standards, load capacity evaluation, inspection and asset management for all state highway structures – including almost 2,700 highway bridges and over crossings, plus railroad undercrossings, tunnels, and other structural elements.
ODOT Technical Services is recruiting for a structural designer to join our Regional Bridge Design sub-unit in Portland.
The primary purpose of this position is to solve engineering problems by designing simple to moderately complex bridges and other highway and transportation related structures. This individual also provides structural analysis and design services to Project Delivery for the bridges and transportation structures in Oregon. Additionally, the structural designer provides technical guidance to regional bridge design teams and region staff.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform bridge and structures engineering of simple to moderately complex bridges and other transportation-related structures.
- Perform modeling for structural analysis.
- Perform design and detailing for simple to moderately complex bridges and structures.
- Prepare estimate of probable construction cost and schedule.
- Coordinate with the project specification writer to prepare construction specifications.
- Participate on project teams.
- Perform a complete engineering analysis and load rating of new bridges.
- Perform quality practices and quality checking duties.
- Complete preliminary design phase, including alternative analysis and type, size, and location report.
- Complete final design phase, including preliminary plans package, advance plans package, final plans package, and mylars for plan, specification, and estimate.
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (FE),
One year of experience applying professional engineering theory, principles, and methods.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following.
- Civil or structural engineering experience.
- Experience using engineering/design codes.
- Experience with computer programs or software used to perform civil and structural analysis.
- Typical office environment with occasional work in the field.
- Field work may require walking adjacent to fast moving traffic, stooping, bending or climbing around hazardous locations, working 20 feet or move above ground, traffic, railways, or water, and using safety equipment.
- Occasional day or night work required outside of normal work schedule.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.