Announcement: ODOT17-1252ocTraffic Signal Operations Engineer – Professional Engineer 2
Highway Division – Technical ServicesSalem
ODOT is recruiting for a traffic signal operations engineer within our Highway Division. The purpose of this position is to provide technical expertise, leadership, group coordination, decision-making, program development, and public relations to design and implement transportation operations strategies that will enhance the efficient movement of people and goods on highways in Oregon.
The traffic signal operations engineer serves as a statewide expert providing information and guidance to internal and external stakeholders. The position also directs work of the traffic operations specialists involved in the Traffic Signal Operations program. With public safety in mind, expected results are to reduce traffic through improving traffic operations, transportation demand management techniques, and traffic reducing strategies. The person in this position is responsible for making transportation engineering judgments and decisions that directly affect the public.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the lead worker of the transportation operations group within the Traffic Engineering Services unit.
- Update all traffic operations policy and guidelines documents.
- Review and supplement Oregon traffic control devices policies.
- Prepare written reports, engineering guidelines, legislative concepts, and draft language for Oregon Administrative Rules and Oregon Revised Statutes.
- Review professional journals, publications, state and federal government regulations, and research documents to keep current of the latest methods and practices in traffic engineering and traffic signal design, operation, and maintenance.
- Review and/or coordinate review on operational aspects of traffic engineering plans.
- Serve as the engineer of record for traffic signal controller configuration, signal detector layout, railroad and emergency vehicle preemption, and bus priority sequencing.
- Review traffic signal designs, operation plans, and timing recommendations.
- Provide recommendations on traffic engineering studies, investigations and traffic control designs to the state traffic engineer.
- Review and perform complex traffic engineering analysis in support of the development of major highway and transit projects.
- Act as primary contact for all requests for installing new, modifying existing, or removing traffic signals on state highways.
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering and three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
NOTE: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following.
- Experience working with traffic signal operations.
- Demonstrated ability in making decisions with competing interests.
- Demonstrated teamwork and conflict resolution skills.
- Office work is on a regular basis with occasional outdoor work.
- Outdoor work involves exposure to heavy traffic associated with work on traffic signal controllers and other field located electronic hardware.
- Statewide travel often required.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.