Announcement: ODOT17-1251ocTraffic Standards Engineer – Professional Engineer 2
Highway Division – Technical ServicesSalem
We are recruiting for a traffic standards engineer – professional engineer 2. The primary purpose of this position is to support and assist the unit manager by planning, assigning, coordinating, and reviewing work for the unit disciplines. The traffic standards engineer also provides engineering expertise and leadership to the unit staff.
ODOT's Traffic Engineering Unit oversees the use of temporary and permanent traffic control devices (signs, signals, markings, and other devices) to provide for the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. The unit also:
• Develops and maintains standards for design and construction.
• Reviews contract plans.
• Provides training in design and construction inspection.
• Manages the asset management of signs, signals, and traffic structures.
• Provides standard drawings, special provisions, and specialized work.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support and assist the unit manager in planning, assigning, coordinating, and reviewing work.
- Provide engineering expertise and leadership to the unit staff.
- Provide guidance on traffic design policy interpretations.
- Recommend new policies and revisions to existing policies relating to design of traffic control and operations features and devices.
- Provide administrative level engineering leadership to develop statewide standards and procedures.
- Coordinate and assign the review of plans specifications and engineering estimates.
- Assist unit manager in the development and administration of the unit's biennial budget.
- Ensure all unit employees receive applicable training.
- Support the unit manager in developing and updating position descriptions and performance appraisals for unit employees.
- Lead the development and review of selected traffic engineering policies, procedures, and practices.
- Supervise development of new traffic policy manuals, handbooks, and guidelines in certain areas.
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering and three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
NOTE: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following.
- Demonstrated teamwork and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience developing statewide standards and policies.
- Knowledge and experience of traffic engineering principles.
- Knowledge of transportation policies and practices governing traffic control devices.
- Office work is on a regular basis with occasional outdoor work.
- Outdoor work may be in heavy traffic and inclement weather.
- Travel may be statewide or out-of-state.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.