Announcement: ODOT17-1247ocPreservation and Structural Drafter – Engineering Specialist 3
Highway Division – Technical ServicesSalem
ODOT's Bridge Engineering Section is part of the Technical Services Branch in the Highway Division. It is responsible for the design standards, load capacity evaluation, inspection, and asset management for all state highway structures, including almost 2,700 highway bridges and overcrossings, plus railroad undercrossings, tunnels, and other structural elements.
We are recruiting for a preservation and structural drafter to join our Bridge Engineering Section. The purpose of this position is to perform electrical, mechanical, and structural drafting for movable bridge, coastal bridge cathodic protection, historic bridge restoration, structure deicing system installation, pump station construction and other projects in support of the Preservation Engineering Team. The preservation and structural drafter will also obtain and verify field measurements and install non-destructive test sensors.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare with minimal to moderate supervision, conceptual, preliminary, advance and contract plans for structural, electrical, mechanical and corrosion design engineers.
- Prepare three-dimensional drawings, renderings, piping isometrics, electrical schematics, equipment lists, and coordinate specific CAD files for specialized projects.
- Prepare ready-to-sign mylars or CAD drawing files from rough sketches, engineering notes, photographs, verbal instructions, and/or CAD files provided by design engineers.
- Utilize department standardized CAD software and workstations.
- Obtain drawing numbers and structure numbers from bridge data system.
- Upload scanned images of drawings and relational data into bridge data system.
- Record "As-Constructed" changes at completion of construction. Upload images for changed drawings.
- Assist in developing PowerPoint presentations, CDs, DVDs, and web pages covering various groups of historic, coastal, and movable bridges.
- Maintain and improve library of historic bridge photographs.
- Assist electrical, mechanical, or corrosion engineer in placing test equipment or sensors on a structure, checking wiring or piping, and measuring and photographing equipment or historic detailing.
An associate's degree in engineering technology from a recognized community college or technical school of engineering and four years of experience directly related to engineering;
Five and one-half years (66 months) of sub-professional engineering experience
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following.
- Knowledge of structural drafting.
- Experience using MicroStation V8i or other CAD software.
- Experience using Bentley ProjectWise or other data management software.
- Experience with 3D drafting.
- Typical office environment working with computer monitor, keyboard, and mouse for extended periods.
- Occasional travel to field structures to gather information and assist engineers.
- Working at field sites may involve some climbing and limited exposure to electrical voltage and moving machinery.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.