WSDOT Olympic Region is seeking a professional engineer to provide strategic leadership to the Tumwater Project Engineering office. As the Project Engineer, you will be responsible for managing the delivery of projects from design and contract procurement through construction administration and project closeout. The selected candidate will ensure all assigned projects are managed according to WSDOT policy, delivered on schedule, within budget, as well as constructible, maintainable and cost effective. Work requires collaboration and coordination with other regions, project offices, local agencies, FHWA and permitting agencies.
The ideal candidate will provide staff a balanced workplace, promoting training and development for professional growth and upward mobility, employee safety, workforce diversity, and pride in ownership.
This position will perform the following work:
• Lead an office of professional and technical engineers, and engineering consultants in the development and delivery of transportation improvement projects.
• Ensure that assigned projects are managed in accordance with WSDOT policy and procedures.
• Approve design changes and payments to contractors.
• Develop and implement project communication and outreach strategies.
• Create successful projects by working in partnership with community members, businesses, local government agencies and elected officials to plan, design, build, maintain, and operate a safe and efficient transportation system that meets the needs of the community.
• Oversee scope, schedule and budget issues affecting assigned projects.
• Utilize effective engineering techniques and sound engineering judgment.
• Analyze and develop workforce strategies to address recruitment, retention, training, and development.
• Ensure the projects are delivered in an environmentally responsible manner consistent with applicable laws.
• Identify and manage project and delivery risks.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
• A Professional Engineer license in the State of Washington.
• Two years of progressively responsible experience as a licensed professional engineer in construction or design of highways, bridges and related structures.
• Four years of demonstrated and progressively responsible managerial/supervisory experience in managing a diverse workforce.
• A strong engineering background with experience managing and supervising design and construction contracts.
• Excellent knowledge of the department's design and construction principles and practices, contracting methods and procedures, stewardship agreement, and program accountability.
• Strong skills in establishing plans and setting objectives and goals that support overall program strategy/results; monitoring, measuring performance, and making necessary course corrections to the same.
• Excellent skills in effective communication with employees and the public. The ability to evaluate, coordinate, and respond to customers.
• The ability to make timely, effective decisions in the best interest of the department.
• A strong working knowledge of principles of management.
• Valid Washington State Driver License.
To view the entire announcement and to apply, please visit:WMS2