NOTE: This recruitment will be open until filled. We have multiple positions available throughout the Olympic Region: Aberdeen, Lacey, Port Angeles, Port Orchard, Tumwater, and Fife. It is to the candidate’s advantage to apply early. First round assessment will be conducted on July 31, 2017. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.
WSDOT’s is currently looking for enthusiastic engineers who have a passion for creative solutions, innovation, and can provide success in collaborative efforts. We are looking for entry-level and journey-level engineers who want to participate in supporting some of the most important infrastructure projects in Washington State. Your work will be within a dynamic Design/Construction engineering office and will be pivotal in meeting the goals of this agency. Be a part of a team whose mission is to provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation options to communities and businesses.
Note: These in-training positions offer a career path and on-the-job training, and allow you to progress through the Transportation Engineer field, achieving the goal class of a Transportation Engineer 2. Candidates will be considered as a Transportation Engineer 1 or Transportation Engineer 2 depending on qualifications. The salary levels for each are:
Transportation Engineer 1: $50,292 – $65,916
Transportation Engineer 2: $55,476 - $72,744
Depending on your assignment, you may perform the following work:
• Perform general inspection on highway construction projects including materials inspection and testing.
• Document construction inspections to ensure projects are in conformance with contract plans, permits, and regulations.
• Interpret data, identify problems and develop solutions using sound engineering judgment and guidelines on complicated transportation projects.
• Serve as a designer performing a variety of skilled project development work.
• Assist with design and development of plans, specifications, and estimates working in both the office environment and doing field exploration.
• Develop and check engineering design calculations and drawings.
• Effectively utilize design software to complete designs.
• Communicate orally and in writing with contractors, designers, other team members, support offices, and the public.
• Other duties as assigned.
An ideal candidate will have some of the following:
• Bachelor's degree in civil or structural engineering or closely related field or a projected graduation date within six months.
• Certification as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) or ability to obtain within six months.
• Solid understanding of transportation engineering principles.
• Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
• The ability to read, interpret, understand, review and produce contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
• Proficient use of computer, including knowledge of engineering and computer aided drafting software applications.
• Ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions, traverse uneven terrain, and work in confined spaces.
• Ability to adjust work schedule to coincide with contractor's activities, including working long hours and nights.
• A valid driver’s license and be able to safely travel from site to site to provide field support.
• The ability to obtain and maintain certifications for construction materials testing.
• The ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds.
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please go to www.careers.wa.gov. Filter by Department. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position. Recruitment # 17DOT-OR-32488m
To view the entire announcement and to apply, please visit:TE2
TE 2 In-training