« View All Listings
Senior Transportation and/or Environmental Planner
This position involves the advanced application of planning skills and management skills to assigned projects, under little supervision in an office environment. The Senior Planner is an advanced-level position under the direct supervision of a division director. The Senior Planner is responsible for managing individual projects, including developing a work plan and a budget, if needed, for any project assigned. The Senior Planner is responsible for implementing agency goals and objectives at the project level. The Senior Planner may work on transportation and/or environmental planning efforts, as assigned, in furtherance of the mission of the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency (NOACA) as a metropolitan planning organization (MPO) and areawide water quality management agency.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to successfully perform this job. To be considered for this position, an individual must be able to perform each duty in a satisfactory manner. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
• Performs advanced research, planning, evaluation, and report-writing as directed on one or more assigned projects.
• Designs studies and projects, as required.
• Identifies and proposes new planning efforts/approaches.
• Has an advanced knowledge of transportation and/or air quality and/or water quality issues.
• Has an advanced understanding of transportation and/or air quality and/or water quality federal requirements and procedures.
• Has advanced ability to use relevant software programs and mentors others in such use.
• Develops, proposes, and monitors budgets at project level.
• Prepares draft project goals and objectives, as required.
• Manages one or more Overall Work Program (OWP) projects, as assigned.
• Works with others on meshing strategies, plans, and programs with larger scale plans such as Regional Strategic Plan, Long-Range Transportation Plan, Water Quality Management Plan, or other applicable plans.
• Works cooperatively with the United States Department of Transportation, the United States EnvironmentalProtection Agency, the Ohio Department of Transportation, the Ohio EnvironmentalProtection Agency, local agencies, and local governments regarding transportation and/or environmental planning issues, as appropriate.
• Manages assigned programs.
• Manages the collection/analysis/input of data, database design, and maintenance.
• Designs and maintains databases, and mentors others on same.
• Prepares and reviews reports/documents/records.
• Prepares and reviews project goals and objectives.
• Prepares and reviews draft study designs.
• Presents project-related information to NOACA Board, Committees and/or outside, organizations as required by the position.
• Mentors Planners I, II, and Ill, as assigned.
• Attends work-related meetings inside and outside of the agency offices, as directed.
• Engages in minimal travel within the state and the continental U.S., as directed.
• Works under supervision alone or in groups on assigned tasks.
• Works on special projects as required.
• Performs other duties deemed appropriate.
*Credentials and Experience:
• Bachelors Degree in appropriate field plus seven years of relevant planning experience. Masters Degree may be substituted for one year of experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent use and application of Microsoft Office software and other planning software
• Excellent use and application of ESRI GIS software
• Research skills
• Written and verbal communication skills
• Planning and organizational skills
• Management and leadership abilities
Salary Range: Minimum $54,758- commensurate with experience
Must be legally able to work in the United States
Posted on: Thursday, August 03, 2017
This listing expires on: Friday, November 03, 2017