Announcement: ODOT17-1596ocTraffic Investigations Engineer – Professional Engineer 2Highway Division – Technical ServicesSalem
ODOT's Traffic Engineering Unit oversees the use of temporary and permanent traffic control devices to provide for the safe and efficient movement of people and goods.
We are recruiting for a traffic investigations engineer to join the Traffic Engineering Unit in Salem. The purpose of this position is to assist the unit manager by assigning and reviewing work on unique traffic investigations, highway safety engineering, and research projects. This person provides technical expertise, leadership, group coordination, engineering decisions, program management, and public relations to design and implement transportation safety and operational strategies. The traffic investigations engineer serves as an agency expert in the areas of traffic control device application, traffic studies, and access management issues.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve in the capacity of lead worker by assigning, reviewing, and approving the work of engineers and technicians on unique and complex traffic investigations and transportation projects.
- Serve as the statewide expert in traffic investigation issues, traffic studies, highway safety engineering issues, and the application and operation of traffic control devices.
- Coordinate statewide activities relating to traffic control device application.
- Prepare, review, and update policies and guidelines.
- Recommend legislative concepts to the state traffic engineer.
- Provide technical assistance in the development of ODOT programs and policies.
- Recommend and participate in research activities.
- Prepare or direct the preparation of proper written communications to ODOT regions, other sections, agencies, and the public.
- Review unit correspondence, technical reports and guidance for consistency with current ODOT policies and procedures.
- Review engineering investigations and studies of highway signing, signals, striping, and other safety and operational improvements.
- Review traffic control strategies for highway projects and developments.
- Serve as a technical resource to region traffic and other staff for traffic engineering and traffic safety matters.
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering AND three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
NOTE: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following. We will use the items on this list along with our essay-style supplemental questions to determine whom to interview.
- Knowledge and experience in multiple facets of traffic engineering and multi-modal transportation.
- Experience developing guidance or policy in collaborative group environment.
- Knowledge of ODOT policies and practices governing traffic control devices.
- Typical office environment with occasional meetings at locations statewide.
- Occasional field work involves exposure to heavy traffic volumes while making on-site highway observations.
- Workload includes making group presentations.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
This opportunity closes at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, September 14, 2017.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.