« View All Listings
Assistant Analyst (AAM2017)
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) is seeking to hire an Assistant Analyst to join the Policy & Programming Division. CMAP is our region’s comprehensive planning organization. The agency and its partners are developing ON TO 2050, a new long-range comprehensive regional plan to help the seven counties and 284 communities of northeastern Illinois implement strategies that address transportation, housing, economic development, open space, the environment, and other quality-of-life issues. See www.cmap.illinois.gov for more information, and details regarding benefits are at www.cmap.illinois.gov/about/careers#benefits.
CMAP is seeking to hire an Assistant Analyst within the agency’s modeling group to focus on the collection, preparation, and analysis of data related to agency research and analysis activities. Examples of projects include: geocoding transportation performance data for use in preparing evaluation metrics, improving the spatial level-of-service accuracy of transportation modeling networks, and analyzing transportation system performance data from modeling tools and other sources. These and other projects assigned are critical to maintaining the quality and integrity of CMAP planning datasets.
In addition, assignments will be given that contribute to CMAP’s capacity to respond to regular requests for data and information by staff and regional planning partners. These include the preparation of maps and data that support CMAP’s Local Technical Assistance Program and Performance-Based Programming staff, as well as ad-hoc requests from the Executive Office and Policy Development staff. Additional assignments include contributing to the implementation of CMAP’s GO TO 2040 Regional Comprehensive Plan by assisting in the tracking of specific regional planning indicators.
• Identify, collect and prepare datasets for urban planning and policy analysis
• Prepare computer procedures to automate analyses and evaluations
• Conduct quality assurance/quality control on methods and procedures
• Prepare analysis summary results and visualization products
• Thoroughly document work products for use by other CMAP staff
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The successful candidate must have strong technical skills in managing and processing datasets to support urban planning analysis and evaluation. In particular, a successful candidate must demonstrate:
• Understanding of fundamental methods of quantitative analysis in urban planning
• Understanding of data management and processing techniques
• Knowledge of Census and other government data products
Additional desirable skills include:
• Experience using statistical analysis software such as R, SAS, SPSS or Stata
• Experience with Python scripting
• Familiarity with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
• Familiarity with database software such as Access, SQL Server or PostgreSQL
• Exposure to travel demand modeling software such as Emme, Cube, or TransCAD
Education and Experience
A master’s degree in a social science discipline or equivalent with emphasis on quantitative analysis is preferred. A bachelor’s degree with progressive professional experience is acceptable.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and résumé via the web at www.cmap.illinois.gov/about/careers. Please refer to Job Code (AAM2017).
Posting End Date
This posting will close on September 29, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. CST. All applications must be completed and submitted within that timeframe.
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted on: Wednesday, August 30, 2017
This listing expires on: Friday, September 29, 2017