Roadway Engineer - Professional Engineer 1Roseburg, Oregon
ODOT is currently seeking a dynamic and innovative individual to fill the position as a professional engineer 1, roadway engineer at the Region 3 Roadway Engineering Unit located in Roseburg. The primary purpose for this position is to function as a geographically focused resource for Region 3. You will join a team filled with talented individuals who are responsible for the design of the roadway portion of contract plans and the coordination of the overall continuity of contract plans for complex transportation projects. This position also serves a major role in supporting the project design during construction.
Want to learn more about Roseburg? Click here to watch a great video about this thriving community! https://goo.gl/DzNrbD?
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Independently design and prepare the roadway portion of plans, special provisions, and estimates for the most difficult projects.
- Consults with and coordinates project design and specification activities between Roadway and other sections and agencies.
- Prepare and analyze design alternatives for complex projects.
- Provide grades, review contractor submittals, and make recommendations on proposed design changes.
- Coordinate, review, and/or check field location data and preliminary designs for compliance with state and federal design standards for the following roadway features:
- Roadway cross-section, right-of-way requirements, vertical and horizontal alignment, drainage, stage reconstruction, traffic handling requirements, interchange/intersections layout, channelization, safety features.
- Assemble plans and specifications from other units for advance plans and specifications, plans-in-hand, and final review.
- Plan, assign, direct, and review the work of other designers.
- Work with CADD technicians to produce base sheets, make revisions, and produce final plans.
- A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: "Valid" means you have the ability to stamp at the time you apply. We will verify your license before we consider your application. If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following:
- Advanced knowledge of field construction and location practices and principles.
- Experience in roadway project engineering on public infrastructure projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of InRoads and Microstation software.
- Requires both office and outdoor work.
- Heavy workload requiring properly preparing plans and estimates under tight deadlines.
- Team oriented environment requiring the use of collaborative processes in a team setting to resolve complex and at times, emotionally charged issues.
- Occasional field scoping and inspection trips and frequent meetings throughout Region 3.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-3468.
This opportunity is open until filled.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.