Traffic Control Designer – Professional Engineer 1
Highway Division – Tech Center – Region 1
ODOT Highway Division is responsible for construction, improvement, maintenance, and operation of the state highway systems to serve the public of the state of Oregon. We are recruiting for a traffic control designer to provide design elements, special provisions, specifications, and cost estimates for traffic control and permanent pavement marking plans. The person in this position will ensure that designs are compliant with accepted policies, procedures, and guidelines.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for Thursday, September 27 at 7:30 a.m., but we may close the announcement at any time when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after the first screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
- This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and prepare plans, specifications, and cost estimates for temporary traffic control and permanent pavement marking.
- Ensure plans are compliant with ODOT design standards, policies, and guidelines.
- Provide technical advice regarding temporary traffic control and permanent pavement marking.
- Ensure projects are delivered on time and within budget.
- Collect field data to complete traffic control plans.
- Give presentations to project teams.
- Provide engineering consultation to construction and maintenance personnel.
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following. We will use the items on this list along with our essay-style supplemental questions to determine who to interview.
- Experience designing traffic control plans.
- Highway design experience.
- Computer aided drafting design experience.
- Experience working on diverse teams that required substantial collaboration.
- Knowledge of standard highway manuals.
- Regular travel to review field projects and attend statewide meetings.
- Work involves tight deadlines.
We appreciate your interest in this position. To apply, please submit a resume as described below and answer our supplemental questions. Note that we have disabled several sections of the electronic application. Because of the volume of applications we receive, we do not review attachments we do not ask for.
Resume: In your resume, you must clearly describe how you meet the qualifications for this position as listed above and include a list of verifiable employers and dates of employment (including month and year). Please title your resume using this format, "[last name]_ODOT17_1771_Resume."
Caution: If you fail to follow these instructions, we will have to disqualify your application. We cannot consider incomplete or late applications. Pre-employment Checks:
We will conduct criminal background checks on final candidates who are not current ODOT employees. All applicants are subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS, and/or education verification as required for the position. Veteran's Points:
Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. To receive preference, veterans must attach appropriate documentation as outlined by the Department of Administrative Services at the following website: Veterans Resources.
Please title your DD214 like this, "[Your Last Name] DD214" and your disability letter "[Your Last Name] Disability Letter." Veterans may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at 1-800-692-9666.Note:
DD214 member 1 copies do not contain character of service and cannot be used to verify veterans' preference eligibility. Please attach DD214 member 2 or 4.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.