Every disaster whether natural or human-caused has the potential to adversely affect transportation on road, rail, marine or air travel throughout Washington State. For that reason transportation is possibly the most critical infrastructure in Washington.
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is highly reliant on emergency management plans and operations, and ensuring that staff are trained on their roles and responsibilities during an emergency.
Currently, the team is seeking a Regional Emergency Management Program Manager with a strong understanding of emergency management concepts and emergency operations skills. This position plays a key role in ensuring that the agency is ready and able to respond to and recover from any disaster or emergency through general management of the emergency management programs for Eastern, North Central, and South Central Regions, which are located East of the Cascades Mountains in Washington State.
The selected candidate will ensure that the three WSDOT regions are prepared and ready at all times with plans, training and fully operational emergency operations centers. Additionally, this position is responsible for ensuring emergency plans (Continuity of Operations, Emergency Operations Plans, facility Emergency Action Plans) are developed, kept current, and that regional staff are trained and exercised in emergency response.
This position will perform the following work:
• Manage three regional emergency management programs.
• Represent the WSDOT regions in emergency planning activities.
• Develop regional disaster planning for all hazards.
• Work with WSDOT Office of Emergency Management to implement statewide plans.
• Conduct regular training's and develop appropriate exercises.
• Ensure proper function of the three region’s Emergency Operations Centers.
• Develop employee emergency preparedness campaign to assist employees and their families in being prepared for emergencies and disasters.
• Work with Communications Managers to insure implementation of internal and external communication plans.
• Manage Geospatial Information System (GIS) products and activities.
• Develop after action reports, create Corrective Action Plans, and coordinate task completions.
• Manage the budget and documentation of emergency activities.
It is a requirement for the candidate of this position to have:
• A Bachelor’s Degree and two years of experience in emergency management working within an Emergency Management agency or department or other related emergency management and or response experience. OR
Five years’ experience in emergency management working within an involved agency or department, or other related emergency management and or response experience.
• Completion of basic Incident Command System classes (IS 100, 200, 700, & 800.)
• Valid driver’s license with the ability to travel long and short distances with occasional overnight stays.
The ideal candidate will also have:
• Knowledge of local and federal laws and procedures related to emergency management.
• Completion of ICS 300 and 400.
• Stellar communication skills.
• The ability to respond to any of the three EOCs during disasters 24/7.
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please go to www.careers.wa.gov. Filter by Department. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
To view the entire announcement and to apply, please visit: