Announcement: ODOT17-1600ocAssistant Project Manager – Professional Engineer 1
Highway Division– Region 2Springfield
ODOT Highway Division provides technical, engineering, construction, and maintenance products and services throughout Oregon.
We are recruiting for an assistant project manager to assist in administering complex construction contracts and to support the development of design projects. This person will be the main point of contact for inspectors, contractors, engineers of record, technical service personnel, local agencies, and the public. The assistant project manager ensures that contract work, construction materials, and processes are acceptable and in compliance with specifications.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- Limited Duration: This is a limited duration appointment that may become a permanent position. This limited duration position is scheduled to last until 06/30/2019, though the duration can change at any time due to business needs. Limited duration appointments are benefits eligible with a designated maximum length of service.
- Job Rotation: This position is also a rotational opportunity for current state of Oregon employees in permanent positions and in good standing (limited duration and temporary employees not eligible). You must have a valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering to be eligible for this rotational assignment. This opportunity will last until 06/30/2019, but the duration can change at any time depending on business needs. You must have your manager's approval before applying for this assignment.
- Under-Fill: The goal of this recruitment is to fill this position at a professional engineer 1 level. However, we encourage candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for an associate in engineering 2 ($4194.00 to $6194.00) to apply, as we may consider under-filling the position until the selected candidate acquires a professional engineer's license. Under-filling will not exceed six months.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead a team of project management personnel.
- Ensure projects comply with contract requirements and established policies and procedures.
- Ensure that appropriate records are maintained and organized for all assigned projects.
- Review and respond to submittals, requests for information, schedules, and all other information submitted by contractors during construction.
- Direct and review contract office administration functions supporting construction projects.
- Update monthly progress estimates.
- Review documentation to ensure proper and timely payments are made to contractors.
- Ensure that special programs are properly implemented.
- Prepare calculations, quantity estimates, and construction details.
- Stamp engineering design products.
- Review preliminary plans, specifications, and other construction documents.
- Lead a team of project management personnel.
Professional Engineer 1 (PE1) Minimum Qualifications:
A valid Professional Engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Associate in Engineering 2 (AE2) Minimum Qualifications (Under-Fill Option):
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and one year of experience applying professional engineering theory, principles and methods.
AE2 Under-Fill Special Qualifications:
To be eligible for the AE2 under-fill option, a candidate must have his/her valid professional engineer's license in hand (the ability to stamp) within six months of hire. As the PE exam is offered twice a year, in most cases, this will mean applicants must have already met all PE licensing requirements (e.g. completed required education and training, passed the FE and PE exams, etc.) and submitted their complete PE license application to the PE licensing body.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
Preferred Attributes: We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following. We will use the items on this list along with our essay-style supplemental questions to determine who to interview.
- Bridge and roadway construction experience.
- Contract management experience.
- Measurement and payment documentation experience.
- Construction inspection experience.
- ODOT inspection certifications.
- Formal project management training.
- Demonstrated ability to express ideas or tasks effectively in individual or group situations, including with contacts that may be adversarial at times.
- Experience leading and/or managing inspectors and quality control personnel.
- Construction project management experience with experience in budgeting, decision-making, leading others on the crew, and managing contract changes.
- This position regularly spends more than half of their time in the field.
- Field work includes exposure to extreme hazards of traffic and construction equipment, and adverse weather conditions.
- Field work also includes walking on rough terrain, stooping or bending around structures or equipment, and working above ground or water on platforms or machinery with appropriate safety equipment.
- Work schedule regularly requires long hours, varied shifts, overnight travel, and to be available at any time in case of emergency call-outs.
- This position has regular contact with contractors and the public who may be adversarial at times.
- Occasionally works with hand tools or around hazardous chemicals and radioactive sources.
- Occasionally lifts 40 to 60 pounds.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, call 503-986-7146.
This opportunity closes at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, October 8, 2017.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.